• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root cyanogen mod

Excuse me for the noobish question, but why is the camera so impossible? I know that its third party. I guess what I'm asking is, why isnt it as easy as copying the apk from a working rom over to a ported rom for say cm7? I dont need a long winded explaination either if you don't want to. Just a short hand of why development for our camera is hard. I think maybe because its source code isnt listed because its proprietary maybe? not sure.

Upvote 0
With CM, you can pretty much do coding on the phone with a very simple UI. Most of the customization revolves around the notification bar and the notification menu. You can change the color of the bar, text (so many options for text that you never would've ever thought about), notification menu, background, etc. It's really cool. I've put in inquiries all over about it on the Phandroid forums, CM forums, and XDA forums, but nobody seems interested in the Ally.

Upvote 0
Excuse me for the noobish question, but why is the camera so impossible? I know that its third party. I guess what I'm asking is, why isnt it as easy as copying the apk from a working rom over to a ported rom for say cm7? I dont need a long winded explaination either if you don't want to. Just a short hand of why development for our camera is hard. I think maybe because its source code isnt listed because its proprietary maybe? not sure.

Simply because the apk is propietary and checks for some LG things but cant find them due to the rom being built from google source code. The code needs modified to make the camera capable of being ran, but since the app is propietary (highly dependent and source code being unavailable) We've tried getting this working. Still hasn't been working. If you want more info/better explanation, ask getitnowmarketing

Reactions: ccsoccer03
Upvote 0
What is so cool about cyanogen mod tha is not in velocity.
it seems like the velocity team is asking what we want to see next. if its not just 'theming' it sees to me that al lot of it could be ported or moved to velocity. can anybody give a rundown of what it has that velocity doesn't.

My wife's got an Eris and it's running the Cyanogen mod. Personally I was jealous until Velocity 1 came around. IMO the scripts available with Velocity now are both better and easier to use than the customization available with Cyanogen. The speed improvement with Velocity over stock is far superior to the improvement she saw with any of the ROMs available on the Eris as well.

Upvote 0
My wife's got an Eris and it's running the Cyanogen mod. Personally I was jealous until Velocity 1 came around. IMO the scripts available with Velocity now are both better and easier to use than the customization available with Cyanogen. The speed improvement with Velocity over stock is far superior to the improvement she saw with any of the ROMs available on the Eris as well.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Seriously none of the eris roms even feature an adblocker.

Upvote 0

Indeed. While I have a modded version of CM 7 on my Nook Color the performance increase isn't nearly as dramatic as stock Ally versus Velocity Ally.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones