• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data roaming in Canada?

Also to keep costs down, if you're on a WiFi network you can use an App called GrooveIP to make calls using Google voice and your Sprint phone number, thanks to the Sprint-Google carrier integration. It's very handy and the phone calls goes via data vs the cellular network.

95% of the time I am in Canada I am in an airport or hotel that has free wifi. All the work of the trip is at the hotel so other than going out for dinner I am always near free wifi. THe problem is most free wifi requires you to click on some things before you get free wifi so while it works for my laptop I have never gotten it to work on my phone. If I open a phone browser I don't even get the welcome to wifi screen that I get on a laptop. Any ideas?

95% of the time I am in Canada I am in an airport or hotel that has free wifi. All the work of the trip is at the hotel so other than going out for dinner I am always near free wifi. THe problem is most free wifi requires you to click on some things before you get free wifi so while it works for my laptop I have never gotten it to work on my phone. If I open a phone browser I don't even get the welcome to wifi screen that I get on a laptop. Any ideas?

I've never had an issue with that, perhaps try a different browser and use a desktop user agent. A way to test that is at a place that has a similar clickwall like Denny's or McDonalds.

I can't get a straight answer anywhere. I will be traveling through Canada for about 10 hours. I will be using google navigation/gps for the trip. I am a United States Sprint customer using a Galaxy S2 on their Simply Everything Plan. Question is: Does the gps use data while traveling through Canada? If so app, how much? For the 10 hours am I going to get some jacked up bill from Sprint. Any suggestions? Thnaks in advance.

Google Maps has an experimental feature, that allows you to cache map detail, for use while you're not connected to a data or WiFi network. They say it's going to be an official feature soon, but they haven't said exactly when that will happen, so it may or may not be ready before your trip. In the meantime, go to the Development menu on Google Maps, select that feature, and follow the instructions found there.

Once you've done that, turn off 3G data while you're in Canada. While Sprint does offer a discounted voice rate, data is not discounted, and will add up very quickly, even for just a 10-hour trip.

Back