• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Data Toggle Problems (and a brief rant)

I'm having a problem with the Indulge trying to toggle data. Every single app I've downloaded to make a Data Toggle widget results in the phone turning off data fine, but being unable to properly restart it.

Juice Defender goes as far as to force me to completely disable it then do a full power cycle of the phone to get internet back, and even then it takes a bit for it to seemingly reconnect.

I know the phone hid (For the love of God, why?) control over Data in the menus. Airplane mode even seems to be wonky to some degree (Web browsing doesn't seem to come back properly, maps and such do), but most importantly it cancels out the ability to get non-data calls.

Effectively, I'm just looking for a way to COMPLETELY kill Data, since the LTE toggle thing re-activates every single time I get a phone call or text. In short, I can't set the phone down because the minute I miss a call or text, the LTE kicks back in and then it's dead in a matter of a couple hours.

Seriously, I'm kind of shocked by how many people state that the battery life on this thing is a "minor" problem; even the reviews seem to downplay it and make it sound like it'll be low at the end of the day, when in reality, even if I'm not running Background Data (God help you if you do!) with LTE you're LUCKY to get 4 hours, followed by a 4 hour charge time.

UNRELATED NOTE: Is there an actual Samsung forum? We really need to start harassing them for a toggle widget. Or at least releasing how to make one to the dev community. A 4G toggle widget would solve all our problems and it's infuriating it doesn't have one - I mean really, is there ANY background app you'd want to be running at 4G? I think the hyper-battery usage is actually acceptable for active 4G, but the fact passive 4G burns just as much is where I draw the line and actually feel upset that I bought this phone. If I didn't already go over the tiny hour talk time limit (how the hell am I supposed to gauge battery with that?) I'd totally return the phone for an Optimus and bide my time for the next LTE phone.. the fact there's no extended battery and none on the horizon is the double kick in the pants.

I'm having a problem with the Indulge trying to toggle data. Every single app I've downloaded to make a Data Toggle widget results in the phone turning off data fine, but being unable to properly restart it.
Make a widget with extended controls with the Disable/Enable APN toggle. Click once to disable and the indicator will go out. When you need to re-enable it click it once (make sure the pop up says enabling apn) then make a quick phone call to any number (i usually call 8). When the call timer reaches 2 hang up. Your data connection will be restored in a short amount of time and the APN toggle will turn green.

Make a widget with extended controls with the Disable/Enable APN toggle. Click once to disable and the indicator will go out. When you need to re-enable it click it once (make sure the pop up says enabling apn) then make a quick phone call to any number (i usually call 8). When the call timer reaches 2 hang up. Your data connection will be restored in a short amount of time and the APN toggle will turn green.

to much work. And that would kill all data right? not just 4G

ACS guys are working on an LTE toggle widget as we speak, I believe. I was also talking to k0 the other day, he says that an LTE toggle in the notification pulldown shade will probably be baked in to our new custom ROM.

Today I tested and verified that you cannot trust the indicators at the top of the screen. My phone was in 1x mode according to the indicator but things were moving too quickly. I did multiple speed tests to different servers over a half hour period and got 4g speeds.

Its quite a serious bug, there are likely people who've seen 1x and thought they werent getting 4g and returned the phone when it was connected by LTE all along.

I've seen this behavior before as well, and even have a screen shot. But I didn't think it was too important, seeing as I could always tell that little icon was dead wrong.
Although, I've also waved it off because I notice it happens because of my tinkering with the lte functionality test switch, which technically we weren't supposed to have access to. So I'd blamed my self for it and gave samsung the benefit of the doubt. Silly me...

Back
Top Bottom