• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help data would not copy to sdcard

Sania

Lurker
Hello All,

I was a Samsung user for long time and was using an S3. It had battery backup issues..so I did a little market research (which now I think was too little) and bought an HTC desire 816 yesterday. I put my 32gb sdcard in it and it promptly asked me whether I would like to copy data from my old phone. It told me to install an HTC transfer app in my old S3. I did that and copied the data. The problem now was that all the data got copied to phone memory which is barely 8gb and now I hv only meagre 500 mb left in phone memory. My first reaction was obviously to move the data from phone memory to sd card. So being used to in my S3 I searched for 'My files' in the phone which I was shocked to know does not exist in HTC.. U just have 8gb phone memory n u don't even hv a file manager..???? great..so I downloaded es explorer.. but again it fails to move data to sd card. One of de features which attracted me was 128gb expandability. But here I m not even able to move data so what is the use. It's all because of kitkat update I heard mine is 4.4.2. But whatever it is.. it makes my experience worst on day one of joining HTC family!!

Please help/suggest/advice.

Sania

That sounds annoying. Go to the HTC page. Look for the HTC file manager. I can't recall the name but you will know it when you see it. It should help.

i'm not quite sure whats going on with kitkat and sd cards. from what i've read it required to root the phone and use a su account in order to write to the sd card. the workaround for this seems to be connecting the phone as a disk using a usb and mounting the phone as a disk. then the card can be written to.

some apps access the external sd card as read only and some apps won't access the card at all. the former poweramp the latter flv player. i can use es file explorer to copy sd card content to the internal extended memory.

it's just too early to root this phone, otherwise this upgrade from ice cream sandwich on an htc evo 3d has been very pleasant

i'm not quite sure whats going on with kitkat and sd cards. from what i've read it required to root the phone and use a su account in order to write to the sd card. the workaround for this seems to be connecting the phone as a disk using a usb and mounting the phone as a disk. then the card can be written to.

some apps access the external sd card as read only and some apps won't access the card at all. the former poweramp the latter flv player. i can use es file explorer to copy sd card content to the internal extended memory.

it's just too early to root this phone, otherwise this upgrade from ice cream sandwich on an htc evo 3d has been very pleasant

Funny you mentioned this today. So yes, have had a similar problem. Trying to dele some pictures from a picture gallery. Had the message, can't write, and so on. So i just went in my folder Explorer made the changes and it worked. It never dawned on me that this was going on since the upgrade.

I am very fond of HTC but this problem comes from Google, I guess. Whatsapp files, app backups, everything shall be saved on the phone memory..which is very less. I've seen people saying root and stuff but I am alien to this. Please let me know if i can be able to copy files from internal storage to the memory card.

I keep my phone files copied on my pc.
When I change phones and I keep the same SD card, I have to erase the SD card and then copy my copied phone files and pics onto the SD card, then I install it in the phone.

Thats the easiest way I have found to work the files.

The BIG problem with this 816 phone is that there are TOO many separate settings where you have to disable stuff and select memory on the SD card instead of the phone. There is no ONE single setting for saving stuff onto the SD card on the phone. You have to make sure that all of the things you want saved while using the phone are all set up separately.

Back
Top Bottom