• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dead Android Icon but No Recovery Menu?

A

Awakening

(LG Pheonix 2)

I've been trying to get SuperSU on my new phone for hours yesterday and hours today and it seems that absolutely every method I try has some kind of error somewhere and it's getting extremely frustrating. The only actual root I've been able to accomplish is with Kingroot, but I only wanted to use that to install SuperSU and then uninstall Kingroot with it, but it refused to install so I just uninstalled Kingroot and am back at square one.

After literally hours I finally managed to get ADB to see my LG Pheonix 2 so that I could boot in to recovery mode. That is seemingly the only way to do it (besides Kingroot) because I've found absolutely nothing anywhere specifying how to do this with the buttons on the phone and no known methods for other phone models have worked on mine. Well, I'm finally into it, but to no surprise there's another problem--the dead Android icon is displayed over a black background without the recovery menu. I have some hope left that if I can access the recovery menu I'll be able to root my device with SuperSU. So, with that said, how can I make the recovery menu come up when I'm on the screen with the dead Android logo?

Also, my phone doesn't seem to have any fastboot or bootloader page either. All it does is reboot the device like normal

Any help would be extremely appreciated :crying:

I don't know LGs, but on HTCs you need to press a button combination (I think it's power+volume up) to make the recovery menu appear.

You must have a bootloader somewhere or the phone wouldn't be able to load either recovery or android (damaging the bootloader is the simplest way to hard brick an android device). I don't know why you can't access it. What happens if you use "adb reboot-bootloader"?

Welcome to our AndroidForums, @Avvakening.

FYI, there are indeed some devices that seemingly (stubbornly) refuse to display a fastboot/bootloader mode/menu...you may have one of those.

Also, even if you got the stock recovery menu to display, what is your plan then? The stock recovery will not allow you to flash a root .zip package to root your device since it won't have been signed by the manufacturer (i.e., it won't have the proper signing keys). You'd need to install a custom recovery in order to flash .zip files that are not from the manufacturer.

I'm not an LG guy, so I don't have any LG-specific or Phoenix 2 specific help for you, I'm afraid...but I didn't necessarily want you pursuing that I'm pretty sure it a dead end re. trying to flash something via the stock recovery.

I'm afraid I don't :(.

Having anything other than a full-fledged root (i.e., without a custom recovery installed and the ability to take a Nandroid backup, etc.) that would give you the safety of being able to change and recovery things (should something go awry), it playing with fire and asking for a soft-bricked or boot-looped device.

Also not having tools and the option/ability to re-flash your device to a fully-stock or otherwise known working state is also something that would give me pause.

I can imagine being able to replace KingRoot's root implementation with Chainfire's "standard" root components, but would never attempt to do so on a device that didn't have an unlocked bootloader and the ability to re-flash back to stock (i.e., your typical Nexus device).

Back
Top Bottom