• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Default storage location, how to set to SD Card?

e_canuck

For my husband's Nokia 6.1, running Android 9, I cannot find a place in Settings. to make the MicroSD card the default location for saving files, especially Download. There is a Download folder on the SD card with nothing in it. I just changed his Google Chrome setting to make the SD card the default location but want to do so for the entire phone if possible.

Cannot find this on Nokia's site (where another user asked this question in Nov 2018 without getting an answer.) Also cannot turn up any search result looking for this with an Android 9 tag.

well besides downloading from your web browser. what else do you want to download? chrome would be the only setting that i know for downloads. not really sure what else you would need.

Thanks for responding. Ebooks from library or etailers, Google Play purchases of media, are examples of downloads that aren't Chrome. My husband had a small handful of files in his Download folder on the phone main storage and a Download folder in the SD card that is empty. I watched a Youtube video supposedly showing how to make SD card the default for storage but the option they showed doesn't exist on his phone. This came up because he got some kind of notice about "old" downloads in his folder. They were old but only taking up tiny space on internal memory, still, I want to be able to use the large external storage we bought him when buying the phone not long ago.

well as far ereader apps go u will have not manually enter where they get downloaded to either within the app or go into your phone's settings and switch to save data to sd card.

as far as google play music, there is a setting to move the storage to sd card. however, if you already have music downloaded to the device you will have to re-download them after you switch the settings.

really the sd card is mainly meant for music, movies, and pictures. and unfortunately there is really no one stop place to move everything. my note 8 on pie (android 9) does not have that option as well.

Back
Top Bottom