• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Defiance

Gmash

Extreme Android User
Feb 3, 2011
neither Here nor There
I just watched the pilot, wasn't sure what to expect, but I was surprisingly impressed. This is quite an ambitious project for SyFy, with the expensive looking show and an MMORPG game across all formats to go along side of it. I hope this show catches on, I think it is more promising (based on the pilot) than the shows like Terra Nova, Falling Skies, or Revolution that have come along the last couple of years. I don't play MMO games, so I can't comment on that, its existence is what made me skeptical about the show, (seemed like a gimmick), but the show stands up well on its own in my opinion. Please feel free to leave any thoughts, opinions, or comments about this promising new series here.

I thought it was ok. However, it was obvious for a while that he was going to become the sheriff (was it "Lawkeeper"?).
I liked it but it's basically a western set in a mining community, albeit with aliens and energy weapons.

I was disappointed that there wasn't enough made of the original arrival of ETs, jumping instead many years into the future, especially since the park scene at the beginning is pretty dramatic.

I always think about how stunningly terrifying it was in Spielberg's War of the Worlds when the machine opens fire on the people in the streets.

However, I guess that isn't the point of this story so I'll let that drop.

I think they did a good job of setting up the different characters, tensions, and intrigues.

It will be interesting to see how he treats the gangster clan now - particularly since he had his fight winnings taken from him.

Yeah I'd watch it again. :)

Upvote 0
I've watched the first 2 episodes now. I'm still not sold on this show.

Most of what I've seen so far is fairly generic Sci-Fi (or Sci-Fi/Western). It's also been predictable. I think this show's main problem is weak writing; especially the dialog. It's feels more on par with Revolution or V (2009), than Firefly or BSG. Most of the characters so far are one-dimensional.

Considering Defiance is a town with 8 species, I hope we get to see more than just the 2 or 3 species that have been focused on so far. One thing that I'm having trouble with buying into this show is that none of the Aliens feel "alien." They are funny looking people that act like humans.

Upvote 0
Personally this show brought a lot of feelings I had about Firefly though I don't feel it's on par with it. At least not yet. That said I don't think the first few episodes of Firefly were that great either. It's not fair really to compare this new show to how Firefly made me feel in later episodes.

Optimistic about the show to say the least.

Upvote 0
I'm still liking the show. I can understand the criticism about it being predictable, and some of the characters might be stereotypical (the prostitute with the heart of gold, the albino aliens are so evil they would be twirling their mustaches if the had them, etc). However, that's part of the charm of the show. It's almost old fashioned in a way. It's not dark and brooding like a lot of shows I like, it is more of an old-school adventure. I also like the relationship between the main character and his "daughter" (I'm bad with names lol).

Upvote 0
Season two was really good. It got really dark this year. It had everything: murder, drug addiction, back stabbing and sexy Stahma bath scenes lol. There was somewhat of a soap-opera-ey vibe, but it didn't bother me too much. Side note: Linda Hamilton has NOT aged well. Still glad to see her join the show. Looking forward to next season.

Upvote 0
Season two was really good. It got really dark this year. It had everything: murder, drug addiction, back stabbing and sexy Stahma bath scenes lol. There was somewhat of a soap-opera-ey vibe, but it didn't bother me too much. Side note: Linda Hamilton has NOT aged well. Still glad to see her join the show. Looking forward to next season.
The odd thing is Linda Hamilton played the mom on Chuck not too long ago and looked a lot better than she does here.

This season was definitely more soap-opera-y, but I think not having all of the attention on Nolan and Datak this time was a plus. They're both kinda one note characters and the story became more interesting by branching out.

Also, Quentin is horrible.

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
The odd thing is Linda Hamilton played the mom on Chuck not too long ago and looked a lot better than she does here.

This season was definitely more soap-opera-y, but I think not having all of the attention on Nolan and Datak this time was a plus. They're both kinda one note characters and the story became more interesting by branching out.

Also, Quentin is horrible.

I was wondering if they had made her up to look older for some reason.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones