• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delayed Notifications and Other Odd Behaviors

Ashlah

Lurker
Jun 15, 2017
Hi there,

Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0, not rooted. Carrier is Verizon, if that matters.

Over the past couple weeks, my phone has been showing some odd behavior. It is temporarily fixed (for anywhere from a couple hours to a day) by restarting the phone, but it never lasts long. When it is in this state, here are the behaviors I've noticed:

-Notifications from various apps (Gmail, Facebook, Reddit) are massively delayed, often showing up hours after they should have. If I go into the app, it's all synced fine. It does not appear to be a syncing issue, just a notification issue. Text notifications come through immediately, as they should.

-Reminders scheduled through the Wunderlist app are also delayed, and the amount of delay varies greatly. Often an 8 PM reminder shows up at a strange time like 4:53 AM.

-The Blue Light Filter scheduler won't work. Often my first hint that something is wrong again is when this doesn't change as it should. It will either stay on or off, depending on the state it was in when my phone starts these behaviors again. The Do Not Disturb schedule, however, continues to work as it should.

-The weather widget will not refresh on the home screen. When I open the weather app itself, it will refresh within, but it will not update on the home screen until I restart the phone again.

-I wondered if it was some sort of clock issue, but the clock is always correct.

It's possible it's related to a system update (G930VVRS4BQC9) which occurred 5/23/17, however I don't think it's been going on quite that long. Does anyone have any ideas for me? All I can find on the internet is about Gmail specifically, but I am having multiple seemingly connected issues, not a Gmail app issue. I've uninstalled a couple new apps I had downloaded recently, but it made no difference. All other apps are set to auto-update.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to help solve this problem.

Thank you!

I've noticed some lag with sync, as well. Most notifications are on point, however some aren't as reliable as they should be. Gmail is a perfect example. It should be real-time. If I delete an email via the app, often when I go to the website it's still there until I re-open the Gmail app. Sync is on, background data enabled, and there's no real difference between wifi vs mobile. Mostly it's the same apps that I've had issues with over the last few years of using different devices, however Gmail was the one consistent thing across all devices and it's been wonky over the last few months. Not sure if Nougat related or something else...

Upvote 0
Thanks seVer, but unfortunately, I don't think our issues are related. I don't seem to be having sync issues at all, just notification issues.

And a new symptom: I no longer get notifications for image texts. Regular texts yes, but image texts no. This is getting so frustrating. If anyone has any ideas for where to start, I'm all ears.

Upvote 0
Hi there,

Samsung Galaxy S7 running Android 7.0, not rooted. Carrier is Verizon, if that matters.

Over the past couple weeks, my phone has been showing some odd behavior. It is temporarily fixed (for anywhere from a couple hours to a day) by restarting the phone, but it never lasts long. When it is in this state, here are the behaviors I've noticed:

-Notifications from various apps (Gmail, Facebook, Reddit) are massively delayed, often showing up hours after they should have. If I go into the app, it's all synced fine. It does not appear to be a syncing issue, just a notification issue. Text notifications come through immediately, as they should.

-Reminders scheduled through the Wunderlist app are also delayed, and the amount of delay varies greatly. Often an 8 PM reminder shows up at a strange time like 4:53 AM.

-The Blue Light Filter scheduler won't work. Often my first hint that something is wrong again is when this doesn't change as it should. It will either stay on or off, depending on the state it was in when my phone starts these behaviors again. The Do Not Disturb schedule, however, continues to work as it should.

-The weather widget will not refresh on the home screen. When I open the weather app itself, it will refresh within, but it will not update on the home screen until I restart the phone again.

-I wondered if it was some sort of clock issue, but the clock is always correct.

It's possible it's related to a system update (G930VVRS4BQC9) which occurred 5/23/17, however I don't think it's been going on quite that long. Does anyone have any ideas for me? All I can find on the internet is about Gmail specifically, but I am having multiple seemingly connected issues, not a Gmail app issue. I've uninstalled a couple new apps I had downloaded recently, but it made no difference. All other apps are set to auto-update.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to help solve this problem.

Thank you!

Try going into your Settings then look for Apps, In the upper right corner tick the 3 dots and tick Reset All App Permissions. After you do that Restart the device and see if that fixed the issue. If it didn't help please let us know so we can see if there's other avenues that need to be taken.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones