• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Delete metadata

Hello World

I think I messed up. I tried to move my camera pictures from my Samsung Galaxy S6 to my computer. I tried several ways, in the end I found an app called SSHelper. This app lets me connect to my phone with a normal ssh connection. Like this I downloaded all my pictures and was happy - for a moment. Now I have the following file, that is 11.5 GB in total:
DCIM/.metadata/HighLight.meta

I can't delete this file, since I don't have the permission to do so. I found an app that would let me delete the thumbnails.

Well, the reason is, that I don't know about it. So I installed it, and was surprised to see *all* pictures, that I thought I have deleted. I guess I can delete the pictures now and that would solve my problem.

However, I'm a bit worried. I found that Google Photos is showing also pictures from my other phone (yes, long story, I have two phones). So somehow these photos are synchronized. If I delete the photos in Google Photos, will they also be deleted on my other phone?

Okay, I deleted everything, and I'm not sure if it worked, since now the pictures are in the bin folder.

Frankly, I miss the times, when you could delete a file, and it was deleted.

But thank you very much for the help.

google photos is the best way to go. i love it because i do not have to worry about my photos when i upgrade. they are automatically sync'd and i do not have to do anything.

i seriously do not understand how this is app is not known about more. i'm not making fun of you op, but a lot of people have issues with their photos ending up missing or because of a broken screen and they can't get their photos back.....this happens a lot here. if they had google photos they would not be having this problem.

coolest part is that it will sync only when there is wifi, so that you do not have to worry about your data plan.

I finally managed to get all my photos back. Thanks again for all the help in this thread. I agree that Google Photos is an amazing app to keep things tidy and synchronized between different devices. However, since I haven't been using this software from the start, things are still messed up. I would like to transfer all photos to my laptop, delete everything on my phone and start over again, this time only using the Photos app.

So far so good, but how do I transfer my photos from the phone to a Linux workstation. The usual suspects (whatever is using an ssh connection) do not work, the photos are not even stored properly in the DCIM folder.

Google has built a suite of software that slowly becomes incompatible with everything else, leaving the user completely locked into their ecosystem. It started with the operating system on the telephone. Where will it continue? Your health insurance? Where will it end?

Okay, I got a bit carried away there, but my question is quite simple: How can I transfer *all* pictures that are shown in Google Photos to my Linux box?

I've been using Android devices for almost 10 years now, and so far Google hasn't got me locked in to their ecosystem for anything. I didn't even know Google did health insurance?

Back
Top Bottom