• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleting Chrome browser

andfo

I just would like to uninstall Chrome browser from my android phone. It's a rooted Nexus phone (Not sure if it's Nexus 9 or not). I know it can't be deleted if the phone is not rooted. Is it possible if the phone had been rooted?

Yes you're right @Shotgun84 and remember by uninstalling chrome from your device you're also surrendering any security features Chrome has to offer.

Yes you're right @Shotgun84 and remember by uninstalling chrome from your device you're also surrendering any security features Chrome has to offer.
I've never noticed Chrome offering anything that plenty of other browsers do not though. I've uninstalled it from my phone's in the past and never missed it.

In more recent versions Chrome acts as an alternative to Android System Webview, so I would be wary of uninstalling both. And I'd always take a nandroid before doing anything with the system, including uninstalling apps.

I've never noticed Chrome offering anything that plenty of other browsers do not though. I've uninstalled it from my phone's in the past and never missed it.

In more recent versions Chrome acts as an alternative to Android System Webview, so I would be wary of uninstalling both. And I'd always take a nandroid before doing anything with the system, including uninstalling apps.

Ok opinions are like fingerprints everybody got one, If I'm running on an Android device I'm using Chrome, like I said in a recent post that I do a lot on my Android and a lot of my personal business and Financial information is infused in Google apps. Chrome and it's security features is a catalyst to my personal and business endeavors. But you on the other hand don't use your device like I do so it may not be as good to you as it is for me @Hadron:thinking:

Last edited:
Yeah it is. Either use a root browser to find the apk and delete it or use a root uninstaller. It's safe to remove that but be careful when uninstalling other system apps.

Thank you everyone. So I installed "System app remover (ROOT)" app, and tried to delete Chrome. But it failed. Chrome is still in my phone. I can use it. It seems it initialized because it's asking me to sign in. But it's not deleted. What should I do to easily erase it?

And KBU2 said security features may be removed together. You mean erasing Chrome will affect security of other apps?

And what happens to the passwords and bank account info I typed in while using Chrome if I uninstall Chrome? Are they erased too? I hope they are.

Oh now it seems it's done. I first disabled Chrome at Settings > Apps > All > Chrome, and then used the root uninstaller app to delete it. Now it worked. Great! Thank you!

Oh now it seems it's done. I first disabled Chrome at Settings > Apps > All > Chrome, and then used the root uninstaller app to delete it. Now it worked. Great! Thank you!

"Congratulations", Now you're in a new Realm of security ventures and hopefully find you a new browser that suits your best interest.

Last edited:
My preferred way of deleting system apps was always Titanium Backup. That lets you take a backup first, and gives you a way of restoring if it turns out you made a mistake.

Back
Top Bottom