• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Deleting Duplicate Phone Entries

dinogami

Lurker
A confusing screw-up at the Verizon store involving Backup Assistant and manually transferring contacts from my old phone (Samsung Rogue) to my Nexus has resulted in a number of duplicate entries in the Phone app (not the People app). As far as I can tell, there is no way to delete those duplicates--can anyone point the way? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

A confusing screw-up at the Verizon store involving Backup Assistant and manually transferring contacts from my old phone (Samsung Rogue) to my Nexus has resulted in a number of duplicate entries in the Phone app (not the People app). As far as I can tell, there is no way to delete those duplicates--can anyone point the way? Thanks in advance for your time and help!

I have duplicates in both and would love to know an answer to this.

I used to use an app called contact remover. I haven't had a need for it in a while. See if that works on the Nexus.

I believe its because you loaded booth google contact and verizon backup assistant. they booth do the same thing so it will double your contact list

Hey, thanks for that tip! Contact Remover seems to work pretty well, although it can't differentiate between the Phone list and the People list in ICS. Still, removed is removed...! I am guessing that Backup Assistant is now redundant with the People app--or, at least, would be if I moved all my contact information to Google, which I will probably do. Still, the Phone list is very handy because it eliminates several button pushes to dial someone's number (I know--using a phone to actually call someone is heretical!). I wish that either (a) there was a way to sync the two so that they are the same list, or (b) make it a LOT faster and easier to actually call someone from the People app and completely eliminate the Phone list. I notice that the Phone list contains and displays all the same information that is in the People app for the people that are in both, so I am not entirely clear on the logic behind having both...?

I never sync my contacts. I export them to the SD card, and copy the file to my PC.
If I change the contacts I export them again.

http://contacts.google.com

on your PC browser (don't know if it works via a phone, don't see why it shouldn't).

Press the "More" arrow on your G-Mail contacts page to get the drop down menu.

There will be an item from the menu "Find & merge duplicates..."

I pressed that and it got rid of about 600 duplicates numbers and reduced my phone numbers to 235.

I am not sure how I had 8 to 10 entries for each phone number (probably from restoring or syncing my contacts on each new phone I bought), but it was really annoying to use contacts to want to dial a number and I had to scroll through 8 of the same number to get to the one I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom