• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

denying permissions

justamel

I'm an older less informed bloke and I don't understand "when" you must accept or deny permissions, also can I download an app and then install it later?

If I accept permissions can I later deny one or more, and conversely if I deny permissions can I later accept them if they ARE necessary or if I just decide to accept one or more?

I'll break this into two parts, permissions, and installation, though I'll touch on permissions in that as well.

Installation.
You ask if you can download an app an install it later, and from PLay, you cannot. You may be able to get apps from apkpure or other reputable site, but play downloads and installs in a single step. That said (and here's where permissions come in) until you run the app for the first time, it can't do antything, so regardless of what permissions it lists on installation, you don't grant them until the first run time, or in some cases, the first time the app requests that particular permission (e.g. Location).

Permissions:
You can grant or deny permissions at any time. If you go into settings | apps and select an app it will show you what permissions it has been granted, and which it has been denied. You can simply tap a permission to change the approval status.

Extra free information: :p
Newer versions of Android (not sure when, maybe Android 11:thinking:) will removed the specially granted permissions of any apps you haven't used in a long time. You will periodically get a notification something like "Permissions removed from X apps that haven't been used."

The short answer to most of those questions is "yes".

On recent versions of Android you will be asked the first time you run an app whether you want to grant it the permissions it requests (or rather, some of them - see later). In some cases your options are "yes" or "no", others may give more options (e.g. for location permissions it's likely to be something like "all the time", "only when using the app", "this time only" or "deny"). But you can always change these by going into Settings > Apps, finding the app and looking at its permissions (or just search for "permissions" in the system settings search box). It's up to you what you accept or deny, and an app should continue to work, just won't be able to do whatever the permission was needed for. Some older apps (designed before this) might just not work, and some will ask you and then tell you then can't work without the permission and ask again (being awkward I tend to ask "do I really need this?" for any app that does that with me).

I say "for some permissions" because it only gives you the option of denying some permissions. There are others that are just granted regardless if the app asks for them. Google will claim that it's just "sensitive" permissions they offer you the option to deny, but my definition and theirs don't always agree. But if there are other permissions which it doesn't ask you to accept that you are not happy with your only option is to not install (or uninstall) the app. Until a few years ago all permissions were like that, so this is progress.

As for downloading an app and installing it later, yes you can, but not from the Play Store (there are sites you can install the app installer packages, apks, from, but you need to know the difference between safe sites and those likely to contain pirated material and/or malware). But why download and then wait to install? Just having the apk file on the phone won't tell you anything much about the app, so if you want to do more research into it before installing why not do that before downloading in the first place?

Thankyou for the replies to my question. I'm not a big user of this forum (or other ones), but I do appreciate very much the help the provide me.
well free to come here and hangout. we have all sorts of forums you can participate in from movies to sports among other things. i hope to see you around. and keep the questions coming if you have them.

Back
Top Bottom