• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Desire S IP conflict with XP on home network

D

Deleted User

Hi Folks,
Whenever I switch on the wifi on my Desire S at home, my main PC randomly pops up with 'Windows System Error, There is an IP address conflict with another system on the network'.

This also causes the main PC to sometimes drop it's internet connection. It doesn't seem to affect the Desire though, which happily stays connected to the wireless router. I'm just trying to work out if its something to do with the Desire or the PC/router. I have checked all the IP addresses and they are all different, being assigned by DHCP on my Netgear router.

BTW, It only happens when I switch on the wifi on the Desire. There is also a Mac laptop and two Blackberrys connected and none of them cause the error message.

Any ideas anyone?

For future reference, if anyone else ever gets this problem, I finally solved it, after thinking it was everything but the phone, by doing a 'hard reset' on the phone using the following method (as recommended by HTC tech support):

Performing a factory reset using the phone buttons
Remove the battery, wait for a few seconds, then reinsert the battery.

Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button.

Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button.

Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones