• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Developer options "ON" speeds up phone??

Yno

I received a new Turbo and had the Verizon company store set it up. When I go home to personalize it, I found the Developer Options turned on. I turned it off (I think USB debugging was on) as I don't think it is necessary. I went back and asked, and one of the reps, who seemed very knowledgeable, said it speeds up the phone. This seems a bit hokey to me. Has anyone ever heard of this?

The USB debugging option does the following when on -

- launches the adb daemon (think: server/service) and then it immediately goes to sleep - using no CPU resources

It's smaller than 200 kB and may be cached for even less ram use (although I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to care about something that small in RAM for this phone).

It lies dormant until a data connection is made to a pc AND the phone receives an adb command.

A very tiny system process laying in low memory, below running apps, and laying dormant, that is specifically in the Unix sleep state and using zero CPU resources cannot - by definition and design - possibly affect speed at all.

The person who said that was quite incorrect and speaking without any knowledge of the process.

Back
Top Bottom