• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device for missed calls notifications?

i do mechanic / contracting type work and i keep breaking my phones, now i keep it in truck/toolbox but now i keep missing important service calls. is there any type of device i can get to connect to my phone like an old pager that will beep/vibrate and let me know what missed calls i have? i just got an amazfit band, its primary function is fitness monitoring but it does have what i need but it will only vibrate when i get a call, no notifications. i really need something thats primary function is staying on top of missed calls.

my samsung gear s4 watch does calls and any other kind of notification including email and text. works great for me, i had to turn off emails, but text work great. also samsung health is a great app to use in conjunction with the watch.

there is no other kind of device that i am aware of.

How would your phones break? Falling out of pocket? Inside front pocket? etc...

I was an Electrician and I had my best luck buying a phone case with a belt clip. Of course then it would be out of your pocket.

The other issue I would run into is I would be in a basement electrical room where there would be -0- service and a boss would yell at me for not answering my phone for 2 hours.

If you do decide to get a smart watch, isn't something like an exposed, over-sized watch strapped to your wrist prone to damage considering the work you're doing? Also, if you're keeping your phone stored away inside a toolbox in your truck, the metal box is going to significantly reduce the effective WiFi and Bluetooth range so any link between a phone and a watch will cut off once you put the phone inside the toolbox and walk away.

I'm a big fan of phone holsters, but a construction site will expose your phone to a lot of dust and construction debris so perhaps a pouch with a belt clip/strap instead will work out for you? That way your phone is with you, and you can just use some Bluetooth earbuds for notifications.

I worked construction. Though I never broke a phone at work, I found it impossible to access the phone in my pocket due to wearing a tool belt. The answer for me was to invest in a smart watch. I would set the phone in a safe place on whatever floor I was working and easily received my calls and texts on my watch. My watch did get banged up over the years but it was never destroyed and proved to be the perfect solution for my working scenario.

Another option that might work are those armband phone holders that are worn on the upper arm. (The ones you see designed for joggers)
The afore mentioned belt worn holster might work well for you. The OtterBox Defender series offers great phone protection that warrants a mention. They are designed to protect.

Good luck in finding a solution.

I work in the field too. And constantly my phone will "fly" off my hands (try a 2 story roof and concrete slab). So I got a Xiaomi Mi Band and works great. It is small and I got notifications about SMS, phone calls (if it is not important, I can mute the ringer or hang up from the band), social network, etc. I got a screen protector since I tend to scratch them easily and got a whole bunch of wrist straps since I keep breaking them :) And of course, it displays time, date and battery charge. Now, you can't answer a call with this one, but there are some that will even allow you to do it (like Knight Rider) :)

yes straps!!!!!!

i go thru them a lot. i hate the silicone ones that my watch came with. i always get a skin rash from them. i need either those sport straps or the leather ones. in fact this just reminds me that i need to order some more for me. mine are pretty weathered and beat up.

Back
Top Bottom