• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Device question - tried to access

datman239

Lurker
Hello

I had this device try to access my network. Do you know what version of Blackview is? I not sure what the je-1038zs means

android-blackview-je-1038zs

Thanks

Maybe it was someone with that phone, outside walking by your house? WiFi can have a range of 100metres or more. If in doubt change your network's WPA/WPA2 password. And if it's WEP, aboslutely change it to WPA/WPA2 encryption.

Maybe it was someone with that phone, outside walking by your house? WiFi can have a range of 100metres or more. If in doubt change your network's WPA/WPA2 password. And if it's WEP, aboslutely change it to WPA/WPA2 encryption.
I live in an apartment

Don't think it makes any difference what sort of domicile you live in. Same thing, it was probably someone with a Blackview phone near your apartment, and within range of your WiFi network.
Interesting that would be wild if it was a neighbor. I actually received the notification when someone tried to access my Evernote account. The IPs came from Tor Exit Nodes but the device used to connect was logged. Still think it was a local attack or something else?

Interesting that would be wild if it was a neighbor. I actually received the notification when someone tried to access my Evernote account. The IPs came from Tor Exit Nodes but the device used to connect was logged. Still think it was a local attack or something else?
most likely something else.....anyways changing the password should fix any issues. i would also make sure that you have some kind of antivirus on your computers. your android devices should be fine as there are no viruses for android. malware and adware, yes........viruses that you would see on a pc, no.

Well that doesn't sound like someone local accessing your network. TOR Exit Nodes can be anywhere in the world, in very much any country. So I suggest you check the security of your Evernote account, if necessary change your Evernote password, and enable two-factor authentication login.

I've used TOR before now, and I'm currently using a VPN, so my IP is currently in Atlanta, Georgia, but I'm actually on the other side of the world to that.

Last edited:
Well that doesn't sound like someone local accessing your network. TOR Exit Nodes can be anywhere in the world, in very much any country. So I suggest you check the security of your Evernote account, if necessary change your Evernote password, and enable two-factor authentication login.

I've used TOR before now, and I'm currently using a VPN, so my IP is currently in Atlanta, Georgia, but I'm actually on the other side of the world to that.
Thanks for the insight. I do have an IP address from Singapore coming from the StarHub Cable ISP that looks like a residential address on his first hack attempt. Then again the attacker could be using a residential VPN. How common is it to use TOR Exit Nodes in conjunction with residential VPN's?

Thanks for the insight. I do have an IP address from Singapore coming from the StarHub Cable ISP that looks like a residential address on his first hack attempt. Then again the attacker could be using a residential VPN. How common is it to use TOR Exit Nodes in conjunction with residential VPN's?

I'm sure it's very common actually. TOR(The Onion Router) is very much a community effort, with people voluntarily running the TOR nodes on their own private computers. I used to use TOR myself, because I'm in China, to bypass the Great FireWall censoring. I certainly wasn't using TOR for anything nefarious, like hacking attacks.

The TOR Entries, TOR Exits, and all routing can be done on volunteer computers from users' own homes. It's different to a commercial VPN service, like Astrill or Express, where the nodes are located in commercial data centres.

tor network.jpg

Last edited:
I'm sure it's very common actually. TOR(The Onion Router) is very much a community effort, with people voluntarily running the TOR nodes on their own private computers. I used to use TOR myself, because I'm in China, to bypass the Great FireWall censoring. I certainly wasn't using TOR for anything nefarious, like hacking attacks.

The TOR Entries, TOR Exits, and all routing can be done on volunteer computers from users' own homes. It's different to a commercial VPN service, like Astrill or Express, where the nodes are located in commercial data centres.

View attachment 166059
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed response and image.

The TOR exit relays were coming from IPs in Germany and the US. The residential IP came from an address in Singapore. I'm trying to figure out if the attacker slipped up and used his actual IP from his home location before switching to the TOR relays OR if the Singapore IP is more likely to be a residential VPN (correct me if I'm wrong but these tend to have frequent outages and are a bit slower?)

For context, the attacker was denied access via the Singapore IP on the original attack, but managed to gain access with the TOR relays about an hour later.

Back
Top Bottom