• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Did anyone else see the Pre-Order page for the Captivate???

I just received an email from them announcing the captivate... Then I get to the end and it says current customers have to wait a month!

Not happy!

When the Magic first came out, I was an existing customer (15 years) and when they told me I would have to pay full price for the Magic I simply said "No, that's not good enough, I'm not happy with that price."

I pointed out for how long I had been a loyal customer, that it was shameful they would not do anything for existing loyal customers, and that if they didn't give me a better price I would take my business elsewhere.

I was put on hold, and when the rep came back to the phone (after speaking to a retention manager no doubt) i was offered the Magic for $149.99.

A week later they dropped the price to $99. I called and complained, and they gave me a $50.00 rebate.

The moral of the story... the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and if you say nothing, you will get nothing.

Start with the first rep you get, tell them you've been a loyal customer and you WANT a better price. If they still say no, ask to speak to someone in the Retention Dept.

As long as you are willing to re-up for another 3 year term, they shouldn't be so picky!

(Although I can understand why they do it. The purpose of the contract is to cover the cost of the subsidized phone. If you've only had your phone, and your contract for a few months to a year, and they give you another new phone on contract, your contract is only really extended equal to the time between now and the last contract extension, which might not cover the cost of the previous phone.)

Still they could at least split the amount of units in half or 1/3-2/3 part. 1/3 new customer.. 2/3 current customer.. or the other way around.

Marketing department at Rogers is a big zero all the way. They can't launch the product in a timely fashion. There is no hype building other then "Coming soon" for 2 months then they just plain ignore their current user database geez.

Make it a limited quantities with firts come first serve at least for current customer if you want to milk new customers only.

I'm definitely not going to use my HUP anymore and wait for my contract to end even if i takes another 2 year. I'm waiting for the HTC Desire HD as Rogers shows they have no respect for my business.

I just called them today to make sure that my hardware upgrade would work for any phone and not just iphones and to see what they would say about the pre-order and the captivate in general. She was pretty blunt that it could be November before I would get my hands on one. Suggested that maybe an iphone would be a logical alternative. I explained I was already on the list to get one and I would prefer to get the captivate. Overall she / they are pushing the i4, and wasn't able to give me any information on why I would want to choose android. You'd think that they'd want to sell me on whatever I was interested in.

The November date makes sense cause if they give all the captivates to the new customers the current custopmers would be left fighting over what little they could find locally. While it won't be as bad as trying to get an i4 is, I have been on a waiting list for the i4 since the begining and I am still waiting. I was hoping I could get the captivate before I had to give up my chance at the i4. Now its looking like I won't have that chance.

I went into a Rogers store to ask if they had a waiting list or something like that so I could my name on it and hopefully get one quickly once it was released. The rep said that for now, they wont be doing anything like that for the Captivate because they want to release the Torch first and once that settles down, they may do a holding list for the Captivate if needed. Seems like they are favoring the Blackberry customers before the Android customers.

While Blackberry has been in the market for much longer than Android, a customer is a customer no matter what phone they have or want. To me, it seems like this could be the reason for the "manufacturing delay".

Well to be honest to Samsung and Rogers, Samsung is having delays with the SuperAMOLED screens. HTC did switch away from SuperAMOLED for that very fact for at least one of their phones.

Well to be honest to Samsung and Rogers, Samsung is having delays with the SuperAMOLED screens. HTC did switch away from SuperAMOLED for that very fact for at least one of their phones.

Minor correction, HTC switched from the AMOLED display not the Super AMOLED. Up to date, Samsung has been the only company that hs been using Super AMOLED.

Well I got the dreaded phone call today saying that my 32gb iphone 4 was ready for me to pick up. I said they could pass it on to the next guy on the waiting list as I decided to try android out. I asked them about the Captivate and other then to say it was coming they had no information on it. It does seem interesting that if I mention Iphone they can't stop telling me how great it is but I mention android and ...............

I asked if I could get on a waiting list for the captivate, which they replied "no, we'll see how it goes when it comes out and make a decision then". So its first come first served... Good luck considering I will be at work whenever this gets released with no way to take time off. But I am committed now...

Great to hear you are committed, outcrastrc!!! :D If you love to tinker, to customize and personalize your things, then Android is the right platform for you ^_^. Once committed, you'll then be hook (I hope) and once hooked...you'll be addicted. You can ask anyone on Android Forums how many hours they spend on their phones (including reading forums to see what new things they can do).

"... Froyo in 2011" ??
Does Rogers know something that I don't? The 2.2 is already late and is now promised sometime this month to fix a lot more than the GPS. Being that the updates as far as I know come from Samsung via their pc based software this would mean that whatever signature that is being used to determine if a device is available for update is somehow different on this one than most of the other variations of the S.
interesting. That Keis pc software is really really horrible so perhaps that is part of the change but if it puts the carrier in the way of updates then ya'll will be playing the same "I want my 1.6 ... 2.2" game. Great spec for a device but the 2.1 it comes with is pretty flawed and really needs this update.

Rogers is going to be the only one late with this firmware.. i'm running 2.2 rom beta JPK on my Samsung S from Bell and its faultless.. GPS works great no LAG the phone is amazing on this rom.. I don't know how Samsung can really improve on this rom.. but thats why its being released in the rest of the world in 1 or 2 weeks.

As far as Rogers I knew this would happen. like I said in a post a month ago... they want to change the rom for the Samsung S and lock it down to make it hard to root and change roms.. just like they did with the magic and the 991 fix... this is the only reason they would hold it back till 2011 well the rest of the world gets 2.2 official release for the Samsung S in the next few weeks.. and Samsung has been leaking the 2.2 roms for the last 3 months for 2.2.. and the last few leaks the 2.2 roms have been amazing..

If I were looking to get a Samsung S I would get it from Bell then unlock it and put it on rogers network.

And Rogers your Selling the Samsung S full price for more then any other carrier..

Rogers is Making some big errors lately.

I can't blame R too much for pricing it higher. They learned from watching Bell sell too many that ended up unlocked. Like I've said before, these toys are only useful with carrier service (or might as well get a wifi only device for much less $) so all they have to do is to offer the better service. Rogers might also sell a bunch that end up on Bell or on U.S. carriers so they all need to stop worrying about lockdown and focus on the real issues. This device has some real issues and I don't believe that the 2.1 it will come with will fix them all. Prefacing the PR with "the GPS we promise is better..." isn't convincing enough. Oh, that's why they are pricing it higher? funny thing to market, "our version is slightly less broken than the other guys so it is worth more".

If I was to buy one I'd ask in writing about the updates. Several months with this 2.1 will cause more grief than the Magic fiasco. I'm not going through that again. Then again I've already got mine and won't be waiting until 2011 for a fix..

Rogers is the only one not releasing 2.2 this month... big mistake.. and I can tell you for sure that JPK almost makes this phone almost faultless ....You should really try JPK.. 2.2 has No lag and the GPS works really well.. I can even get a lock faster then my x10 and HTC Magic.

Yep new target date is the 25th of October. The pre-order end date has been pushed from 20th to 24th.

Depending on store availability expect having one in your hands in the first week of November.

Do i need to mention this is another fail ? lol

They will probably announce that it will be coming soon and release it six months later or something stupid like that. Sorry about such a negative comment, but I am not happy with rogers right now, I am no longer eligible to upgrade to the Captivate as of today due to the change of the HUP rules.

Back
Top Bottom