• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Disable autorestart from OS

cozsmin

Lurker
Hello

I have an :

Sony Xperia D2005
Android 4.3
Kernel 3.4.0-perf (administrator@ubuntu-scm03.arimacomm.com.tw) (gcc version 4.7 (GCC) )
compile number : 20.0.A.1.8

Before posting here i visited the Sony's page regarding this problem , but i read that i does not always work , I did restore to factory settings and it still reappears

I have sysadmin knowledge-base and I am able to "ad"b trhu the OS.
I can see that the processes like "com.company.program" are all ran by "/system/bin/app_process" , and under different users like :
radio system u0_a109 u0_a115 u0_a128 u0_a130 u0_a139 u0_a143 u0_a144 u0_a154 u0_a158 u0_a16 u0_a22 u0_a23 u0_a37 u0_a39 u0_a44 u0_a57 u0_i0

Before i start and taking away all rigths of those users , i believe there bust be a nicer way to stop them from auto-restarting the OS
So basically even if an app would ask 1st before restart , it should still not be able to
The only way to restart is forced way

Hey @cozsmin, welcome to AF!

Couple of questions / comments for you:

1. Is your device rooted?

2. Are you trying to do something programmatically here (I see you posted in our app development area...)

3. Yes, the app_process program starts-up the Android applications and each runs under it's own user-id (uid) and $HOME folder (/data/data/<packagename> -- typically only viewable by the app itself or a root user or using the run-as command)

Apps that have a service component will indeed restart themselves--that's what they do and the function that they serve.

Hello @scary_alien

1. It was rooted before , but after factory reset it was nomore

2. Not quite , I am not trying to develop a new application , just to change the way the system behaves

"Apps that have a service component will indeed restart themselves--that's what they do and the function that they serve."
Are you saying that apps that need to restart , should be able to restart your phone EVEN if you are in course of a very IMPORTANT conference call ?

Are you saying that apps that need to restart , should be able to restart your phone EVEN if you are in course of a very IMPORTANT conference call ?

@coszmin, I may have previously misunderstood what you're saying / asking...are you saying that you believe that one (or more) apps are restarting your device, not simply the app itself?

Yes @scary_alien , since it does not happen on all Androids OS-es , i am tempted to think it is the way the system is configured from factory by Sony , i am also curious if not somehow some component updated itself and it need restart , but it does it without asking .
I know linux does not usually restart itself
Actually from surfing more topics regarding the issue , it looks that firmware or bad drivers are causing this issue , where a kernel driver would restart the OS since it is not working anymore :)

Hip hip hurray Sony

Pretty bad design if the something can restart the entire system without asking the user. I thought that level of crap system behaviour was limited to Windows O/S.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if an otherwise non root-capable app would be able to explicitly restart the O/S, so I'd lean towards some deeper issue you've got going on.

If you're able to consistently recreate this behavior, you could likely capture a logcat which might tell you what offending component/resource is causing or involved in the crash.

Back
Top Bottom