• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Disabling Carrier-IQ

M3gaBit3

Hello and thanks for reading this.

Got the SGH-T399 today and rooted it. Thanks Shabbypenguin! :thrasher: Installed CWR, but with no success in a Nandroid backup. Oddly though, ES File Explorer read the extsdcard just fine.????? Then I ran the Voodoo CarrierIQ Detector app and it gave me 2 hits. I attacked this file, /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so by renaming it by adding .bak with success. But now the phone won't finish loading:shot:. I keep getting "Unfortunately, System Manager Application has stopped" with an OK button. Still can communicate with the phone under adb with super user.
adb shell
root@android:/ # su
su
root@android:/ #

So my question is, is there any adb command to where I can rename the file back its original file name?

Appreciate your time.:smokin:

adb shell is starting as root already so no need for su, load up the phone and connect to the computer.

adb remount
adb shell "mv /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so.bak /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so"
adb reboot

that will remount system as r/w, rename the file, and then reboot the phone. if that is all that caused it to bootloop then that should fix you. i would seriously suggest useing TWRP or CWM to make a nandroid before messing with system files :)

Thanks Shabbypenguin for the assistance.

On Friday after work, I read up on some ADB commands and searched for what you said to remount system as "rewrite." I discovered this command "# mount -o rw, remount -xxxxxxx /xxx/xxxxx/xxxxxxx /system". Sure wasn't confident or even wanted to try this command, not wanting to risk my phone being bricked. But I have used this command, " # ls /system/app", just to see if I did write the .bak correctly. Come to find that I didn't. Somehow I accidently added a space after the period of .bak, to where the file reads as such libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so. bak. Therefore, I figured that the space would not work under Android Debug Bridge.

So on Saturday, I did some brainstorming. My attack was whether I could try force close the System Manager Application. With at least a thousand consistent taps just to close the OK button with my left thumb, along with my other thumb to tapping to navigate to the Application Manager with the touch screen, for over an hour of painstaking effort, I did manage to force closing the System Manager Application but only to find the damn popup still was running!:banghead:

Back to the drawing board once more. My next approach was to see if I can try using ES File Explorer again and rename the file back by deleting the ". bak." After God know how many taps, I got to the point where the keyboard came up for edit and realized that this task was near impossible.

Sometime Sunday afternoon I looked on my T399 to see if I installed Titanium Backup. Nope. Of all the rooted apps I did install, how could I not have forgotten this one?:confused: So I put the app in my SDK-platform-tool folder(ADB). Installed Titanium Backup via ADB. Tapped my way to frost System Manager Application 1.28. Reboot to recovery. Wiped delvik and cache. Whoola! Success! Have my phone back!:party:

Writing this for in case someone foolishly did this mistake too.

Since I'm not a pro with Android Debug Bridge(adb) but only know just the very basics, I know better than to cry for help like most noods do. Most all the devs and pros force us to do our own homework. (If anyone can direct me to some very good sources for learning quickly on Android Debug Bridge, please reply!:thumbup:)

Thanks again Shabbypenguin for your dev work on this phone. And good luck to everyone else.

no need to apologize, just figured id let ya know for future use. adb has to be running as root in order to use the command but its a handy one to know :).

on my kernel adb runs as root.

The voodoo app also says I have CarrierIQ installed, but probably inactive due to no running processes.

Does this mean that I am safe from this god-forsaken company's software or can it somehow still call home?

Also, did the OP succeed in removing the program files completely? Is it possible to do, and if so, does anyone have any info on how? From what I understand, the version on the Light is not the 'embedded' version, so I assume this must be somehow possible. However I have not found any useful info yet.

Any help cleaning my device of this abomination would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom