• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you leave GPS on all the time, or only as-needed?

?

• On always

Votes: 21 52.5%
  • On as needed

Votes: 19 47.5%
  • I don't use GPS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Herp derp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

blahblahyoutoo

Just seeing what everyone's habits are...
I only turn it on when I need it (Maps), but it's annoying to wait for it to lock onto satellites.

I don't find it takes too long, at least to get the rough, aGPS fix. And given I usually know where I'm starting from, it's not too much of an issue :)

Can't imagine why anyone would leave the GPS on all the time: it's such a battery hog.

I leave it on all the time and haven't noticed any negative implications on my battery life. The only thing I turned off was traffic updates for Google Now. I got tired of it constantly telling me how to drive home and how far away I was.

The only time your GPS is used is when an app wants to use it. WiFi and Bluetooth are different in that respect as they are continually looking for a signal, so use more battery. When no app wants GPS, then there is no drain on the battery.

As such, my GPS is on all the time.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. I'd like to find an app that lets you somehow veto what apps can access it, cause I'd like to leave it on for foursquare and Google Now.

I leave everything on all the time. My favorite app is Llama which sets it for shutting off those certain things when I get into or out of range of devices. Bluetooth off when I connect to the wifi at my house or at work. Bluetooth on when out of range of those wifi devices. GPS off at night when sleeping.

By using an app like that it really helps battery life too.

You can shut down the Facebook location aspect (and notifications and auto-refresh altogether). My GPS, WiFi and Bluetooth are always on and I easily make it through a day with my Nexus 4 the only phone I use - business and pleasure.

Back