• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Do you use a task killer?

Do you use a Task Killer?

• Yes

Votes: 40 45.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 54.5%

• Total voters

TripsYou

I am so torn weather to use a task kill or not. What is the difference between Advanced Task Killer and Automatic Task killer, is there even a difference? Those of you who do use a task killer, have you seen a difference in the smoothness of your phone and longer lasting battery?

Please spread the word about this thread. I am very interested in seeing what most Captivate users use! Thank You!

How do task killers harm you? Almost everyone says that they do (and I believe you guys), but no one really ever says why task killers are not good.
Just curious.

There is a lot of info out there about this, including being posted many times in android forums. Anyways; there are a lot of people that say they help and others (mainly users that are programmers and developers) that say that task killers do not help. Just Google search task killers and Android, you will see tons of pages. Here are three very informative sites that should help you decide:

http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html

http://geekfor.me/faq/you-shouldnt-be-using-a-task-killer-with-android/

http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them

My advice read up as much as possible and decide for yourself and personally I don't use them, so that is my $0.02; if you ae going to use one, stick with ATK...

I read up on it from some of those links actually lol, before I decided to start this thread. I just wanted some other peoples input and to see what the majority of Captivate or other Android users use and what they believe/know about Task Killers. Thank you for all your input so far!

I used to use ATK, but I recently uninstalled it. I don't really notice a difference between having it and not having it.

I haven't used a task killer since I was an android n00b and didn't know any better. Anyone using one now really needs to get a grasp on the way the Android OS and file system works - it's NOT Windows and shouldn't be treated as such.

I've tried and haven't seen a difference. My phone just lags bad. Calling samsung warranty tomorrow and getting my third one. I get missed calls cause due to the lag on the caller screen. Whenever I move the answer button to answer the call it doesn't even move. That's half the time!

How do task killers harm you? Almost everyone says that they do (and I believe you guys), but no one really ever says why task killers are not good.
Just curious.

If a task killer is ending tasks that keep my widgets running, or stops programs I actually want running and updating, it's useless to me. If it stops a task, which then restarts itself and uses up more battery doing it, I'm not interested. I don't have the interest to sit there and try to tweak something like ATK to work the way I want it to without causing more problems that the captivate already has. I'll let the OS and the apps do their thing and close something manually if I need to.

No, they use me...
2.gif

i use google voice for everything and sometimes it freezes while trying to send a message so I use ATK to kill it, same with a couple other apps, but other than that I stay away from task killers

Oh, I see now.
Well, this thread alone (and its links) has made me decide to uninstall ATK. Unnecessary.

I restart my phone every week or so. I use Android System Info to go in and manually kill apps that start automatically. Unless I leave something running I see no reason to continually kill apps. If I do texting and talk 30 minutes or so I can get by with using 20-40% battery power per day.

I don't have weatherbug and other things continually running either.

It has been stated that even though the app is open, it may not have been doing anything since some system controls require access to certain things in order to run properly.

I use the ATK n love it, very simple n effective. I mainly use it to keep performance up definitely when using me psx4droid.

I am so torn weather to use a task kill or not. What is the difference between Advanced Task Killer and Automatic Task killer, is there even a difference? Those of you who do use a task killer, have you seen a difference in the smoothness of your phone and longer lasting battery?
Please spread the word about this thread. I am very interested in seeing what most Captivate users use! Thank You!

I recently uninstalled ATK, phone still runs the same with the only exception being that I got a very slight boost in battery life.....so overall it doesn't seem to matter but I am not going to reinstall it since I got a slight plus from not having it on there. Just my two cents. :D

Task killers are ok *AS LONG AS* they're NOT set to "auto-kill on a schedule" -- Sniper killing is fine, and sometimes needed. But killing everything on a schedule will in the long run cause more harm than good.

I guess I'm just the same way as with my PC. I don't need a third part app to help me do the things I can do myself, in most cases anyway.

Back