• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does anyone else find it sad how...

The S3 doesn't have the hardware for air gestures as far as I know and Nexus devices don't always get updates, the Galaxy Nexus never officially got KitKat either.

The galaxy S3 neo has air gestures

^^^^^^^(Sorry I was mistaken here...)

Well all the newer ones do...

Nexus devices only get about 2 years of support as well, they just get the updates first.

Nexus One never got 4.0
Nexus S never got 4.2
Galaxy Nexus never got 4.4 (Verizon version didn't even get 4.3)

The 2012 Nexus 7 has hit its two year mark, so we'll have to see if it gets Android L or not. Nexus 4 and Nexus 10 are still within 2 years, so they'll likely get it depending on when it's released.

But didn't they show off the tablet version of L on the nexus 7?

True that it gets security updates, but if you want an OS update (like windows 7 to windows 8) it aren't free and thus have to be purchased. So this begs the question, would you be willing to pay for longer support?

No since that paying for software updates is pretty dumb...

2 years is fair considering the pace of technology upgrades. The TW Kitkat upgrade was nice to see, but for me it mainly served as a base for devs to use to create cool custom roms.

Won't get that base for Android L. But, I am sure that there will still be custom roms sporting most of the L goodness anyway.

And let's face it, at some point I will not be able to resist getting some newer hardware anyway. Just got to save up.

I paid $400 for my SPH-L710 S3. The hardware is still good especially since I don't play games and no need for Triband antennas with Boost in my area. Might be a while before I can afford to spend that much again. Plus, I doubt it will be with Boost or Samsung either.

Just bought a lifeproof case to protect my obsolete investment. Lol.

Lol I still have my S3 for another year but I don't really care :P

While Apple extends updates to older devices like the iPad 2 and 4S the Android community can equally extend development for devices too. I know rooting isn't for everyone but it *can* allow a person to reverse updates and such. For example: when my wife and I had our S3's hers wasn't rooted and mine was. The 4.3 update to her device wasn't the best and from what I could see it reduced battery life. Mine was rooted so I was already on a 4.4 ROM and enjoyed better battery life. Rooting allowed me to even go back to 4.1.1 etc if I wanted to avoid any OTA updates. When I had my iPhone I would get those small patch updates that would make my battery take a hit and I couldn't reverse it. I couldn't revert back. My overall point is that while updates sound good they may not always be welcomed. Just my two cents..

I keep getting windows updates and nothing seems to be different...

I'm sure iOS 8 is gonna be horrible on the 4S, though.
I remember putting iOS 7 on my old iPhone 4 and regretting the moment I ever came up with the bright idea.

Then why did they even bother updating it?

I agree there. I remember repairing a cracked screen iPhone 4 when iOS 7 came out. I thought oh cool I'll go update this before I sell it. Bad move on my part! It was slow and laggy :( I still sold it anyway. The 4S is still decent but I'm sure iOS 8 may unfortunately kill it yes :/
I'd rather stick with even an older device like the S3 vs any Apple device--at least this community is still fairly active in developing for it :)

Kit kat made my S3 faster so... :D

Back
Top Bottom