• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does Froyo Upgrade re-lock the Phone?

I have the MyTouch 3G Slide, which I bought off of E-bay unlocked. It was originally from T-Mobile, although I'm not sure if it's US or UK.

I've downloaded the Froyo update, but I'm worried that I'll have to unlock the phone again. Does anyone know if this is a possibility, and if it does happen, is there a difference between a US or UK T-Mobile unlock code.

Thanks,

Rob

Well, after talking to a HTC rep online, I was assured that the Froyo upgrade would not relock my non rooted phone.
I did the upgrade, and it remained unlocked. One thing to keep in mind is that the wi-fi calling is a t-mobile only feature, and thus a Canadian like myself was out of luck in that department. Also the App-pack feature wouldn't work, possibly now needing a t-mobile connection to start.

Otherwise it works fine, and I've transferred a bunch of apps to my SD card. Which is the main reason why I wanted to upgrade.

I was able to set up the WiFi hotspot app and connect other devices without a data plan or connection. This allows all the connected devices to see web servers, FTP servers, etc on the other devices. I could not find a way to connect through the Froyo app to another visible WiFi hotspot -- i. e., to form a bridge.

This means that while the sharing of a 3G link via the WiFi hotspot may be particular to T-Mobile, the hotspot should be otherwise functional on all phones.

Wtf does this have to do with the topic of this thread? Just wondering:rolleyes:

Maybe you should read the previous posts, the answer is right there.

As I mentioned the Froyo upgrade worked, but in canada the T-mobile wi-fi calling app will not work. Likewise the App-Pack app is also not working, which is weird since it did work before the upgrade.

You'd figure a senior member would at least read the WHOLE thread before commenting on it.

Wasn't talkin to you champ, but since you mentioned it neither of the two previous posts have anything to do with the original question (expect for the first two sentences of your post). ;)

Well, after talking to a HTC rep online, I was assured that the Froyo upgrade would not relock my non rooted phone.
I did the upgrade, and it remained unlocked. One thing to keep in mind is that the wi-fi calling is a t-mobile only feature, and thus a Canadian like myself was out of luck in that department. Also the App-pack feature wouldn't work, possibly now needing a t-mobile connection to start.

Otherwise it works fine, and I've transferred a bunch of apps to my SD card. Which is the main reason why I wanted to upgrade.
So the update should or shouldn't have locked my phone? I'm also in Canada and I updated just now, now I have no service at all from my provider. How do I fix this, should I try to downgrade back to 1.6?

Back
Top Bottom