• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Does it share the problems of its predecessors?

mwemaxxowner

Aug 19, 2016
I am 2 for 2 with lg g2s exhibiting a problem with ghost touches, and/or bands of screen that don't respond to touch. Some googling told me it was a common ish problem.

However, I really like lg phones. They are less buggy than my Samsung phones. I love some of the features that were built in.

Does the g4 or g5 also have this issue, or is it more reliable long term?

The G4 has no touchscreen issues I'm aware of, but versions with a serial number starting with 505-510 will bootloop and need to be replaced eventually.

They no longer make those versions though so you may be ok if you're buying new.

The G5 has its own problems by the sounds of things - http://phandroid.com/2016/08/17/lg-g5-issues-problems/

Upvote 0
Thank you for your help. Even a budget phone is a big expense to me. I can't afford to get it wrong.

I really don't mind some of the brand new upper level straight talk phones. My access is fantastic. But I need to be able to root so I can tether.

No problem! I'm in the same boat, if I had to get a new phone, even a budget phone would cause problems at the moment.

Have you thought about the Moto G4/G4+? Would they work on Straight Talk?

Upvote 0
Does towelroot work on it?

I got the 16 gig 4 +. I wanted the three gigabyte RAM of the four, but I wanted the extra features of the four plus. So I settled for 2 gig ram on the 16 gig 4+.

The Moto G4 plus is a decent phone and probably the best "new" mid range on the market. I definitely gave it a hard look last week. But compared to the G4 it does not have a leg to stand on. Current prices for the unlocked international H815 LG G4 on amazon is 284 USD. For that, you get user replaceable battery, 32GB storage, 3GB ram, 16 megapixel shooter with 8 mb face camera etc.. The only thing the G4 plus has over the g4 is having a fingerprint sensor. The unlocked G4 also comes with some really nice LG beats earphones in the box and a working FM tuner. However, I believe the moto is one of the few that also sports an FM tuner. The quantum higher resolution screen on the LG is a big step up from the moto's FHD. The moto's screen is good but no match for LG's. At under 300 dollars the LG G4 is just too good to pass up. Still has a much stronger processor with the SD 808 verses the much slower 600 series processor in the moto G4. Plus the Moto will heat up quite a bit when stressed.. above what one would consider normal. Don't expect to shoot long videos on the moto.. I've seen temps sore up to over 50c and basically the interface starts to lag with cpu throttling kicking in. If your not a heavy gamer or a heavy user of the camera you may be ok. But if you do like to game or shoot allot of pics/videos you may reconsider your purchase.

Upvote 0
I don't play game digitally. I'm more of a do something in the physical world type. Lol. I surf a lot though but I don't take long videos. I wasn't expecting it to be on par with the lg necessarily. But the price was good, and the Motorola financing may open up a way for me to continue buying new phones in the future as I continue down a prepaid path. After hearing the g4 can have some problems too I grew a bit more wary.

Upvote 0
I don't play game digitally. I'm more of a do something in the physical world type. Lol. I surf a lot though but I don't take long videos. I wasn't expecting it to be on par with the lg necessarily. But the price was good, and the Motorola financing may open up a way for me to continue buying new phones in the future as I continue down a prepaid path. After hearing the g4 can have some problems too I grew a bit more wary.

I can't speak for the carrier versions of the LG G4 but the unlocked H815 is a flawless device except for last years manufacturing defect that plagued the first 5 months of production (all models and all regions of the G4). My point is for under 300 dollars, the H815 is the best smartphone for the money. And its a pretty safe bet that when you buy new today, it will be from a 2016 build date. Just ordered another H815 G4 on Amazon and will probably get it in about a week or so. I think some of the other issues that plagued the G4 were caused by carrier software. In fact I know this to true. But your moto G4 is also a great device because it too is unlocked. Most issues with smartphones are caused by carrier updates.

In the end I chose the LG over the Moto because of the supported bands on the H815. Its destroys the moto as far as compatibility when traveling. I spend allot of time in Fiji and the H815 is one of the few devices that supports all the bands on digicel and vodaphone while still supporting my t-mobile back home. The only other phone that I found that can match the LG's band support is the huawei P9 plus which has excellent support for overseas carriers. Like the H815 the P9 plus has to be bought as an import. They do not officially sell or support them. So your on your own as far as support. In that regard, the moto is a safer bet.

Last edited:
Reactions: mwemaxxowner
Upvote 0
I'm on my 3rd G4, I'd take a new budget device any day of the week. :p

Plus the Moto will heat up quite a bit when stressed.. above what one would consider normal. Don't expect to shoot long videos on the moto.. I've seen temps sore up to over 50c and basically the interface starts to lag with cpu throttling kicking in.

The G4 gets pretty hot too, my current one seems ok (comparatively), but it's nowhere near what you would call normal temperature and doing anything for a sustained period of time will cause it to become too hot to hold.

Upvote 0
I'm on my 3rd G4, I'd take a new budget device any day of the week. :p

The G4 gets pretty hot too, my current one seems ok (comparatively), but it's nowhere near what you would call normal temperature and doing anything for a sustained period of time will cause it to become too hot to hold.

I've not had that issue at all. I do not game but shooting videos and watching movies, surfing, FB etc.. does not overheat my H815. I'm pretty certain that your issues are carrier related. I would never buy a carrier version of the LG G4. I've heard way too many problems that I can never seem to replicate on my international unlocked H815. My updates come from LG directly. I got android M 2 months before my carrier T-mobile sent out their update to their branded G4's which caused a calamity of issues.

I'll also add that my friend at work bought two LG G4's from best buy that are unlocked. They are not the same version as mine but are unbranded devices and will work on any GSM in the states. I believe they too get updates directly from LG. Anyway, he loves his G4 and has no issues. Its when you walk into a carrier store and buy their branded device is when troubles will start.

I'll also add that the G4 is a poor choice on CDMA networks. If you have Verizon or Sprint I would go with the moto pure or the moto g4 plus in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yep. I really actually wanted red with blue accents, but I found you couldn't change the color of the engraving and it didn't show. I coach at a high school with red white and blue colors. The lg may have been a better choice. Who knows. But I'm not gonna fret about it.

The only situation I've run into where I heat phones up is using the GPS for Google maps while it also charges as I drive. This one will probably do it too.

Later this year Ford is supposed to drop an update letting me use Android auto for my truck screen to use maps from my phone on its screen. That may help, or may not change a thing.

Upvote 0
Fiji, I don't take your advice lightly, and thanks for your input. At this point, though, no sense in worrying about it :).
ce6db11a9eca64a1ef23a195b48ae7ec.jpg

I've been using this g2 for 6 months with the above portion of screen not responding. I have to rotate every which way to accomplish certain tasks.

Oh, and sometimes the rotate doesn't work either. Lol

So I'm sure I'll be happy.

Upvote 0
Make sure you run all the updates. From what I'm reading some of the heating issues have been reduced with OTA updates. Lenovo is pretty good about updates/upgrades on their mid to high end phones. Sounds like just about anything would be an improvement over your G2. Like I said, if the moto G plus had better coverage overseas I would probably have bought one myself. No doubt the best budget smartphone of 2016. But again, I would not expect the moto to be better then the LG being the LG is a flagship device. But as time rolls on the difference between your budget phones and flagships are melting. The honor 5x is such a device. That thing looks like its worth 500 dollars. I've seen them sell for under 200. Its high end with all metal unibody construction. The Chinese are about to give the Koreans a run with these new budget phones that offer many of the same feature sets as the 600 and 700 dollar handsets. If there is one thing that I see this year is the huge selection of very powerful budget smartphones. They are far less compromising then ever before.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones