• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Does Root Disappear After a Factory Reset?

NE_Phil

My speech-to-text stopped working on my commando last week. Phone calls are fine but I can't tell google what to do! :D
I took it to the Verizon store and ater 20 minutes of searching on Google, 3 of them couldn't figure out why it didn't work.
Bottom line: They won't do anything until I do a factory reset first.

I'm OK with doing a factory reset but I want to back up my apps, app data & settings, contacts, text messages, etc. first. Most of the backup and restore tools I'm looking at require root.
Motochopper appears to be the root of choice around here and I expect I'll use that.

Here's my question: After rooting my commando and doing the backup, will the factory reset cause it to lose root? I'm hoping root access would disappear, just in case I do need to bring it back to Verizon.
If root does survive a factory reset, how can I remove it before I take it back to Verizon?

Thanks in advance.

Helium doesn't require root (it uses a little program on the computer if the phone isn't rooted) and it backs up both the apps and their data. It's free at the Play store.

I've been rooted for a while now (M040) and was wondering if it was worthwhile to factory reset ( I have everything backed up) and upgrade to M050. I'm happy with things as they are so it's not really important to do it. I noticed that they have been talking about KitKat 4.4.2 lately and today I read an article about a newer android 5.0 lollypop coming soon. Do you think we'll ever go past 4.1.2? I can wait for more than just a patch. I'm using a C811 with Verizon. BTW is the new TowelRoot a better way to go than Motochopper?

Back
Top Bottom