• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Downloading Music

APacconi

Lurker
Is there an app for Android like ITunes where I can download music directly to my phone and not an app like Amazon Music or Spotify? I'm willing to pay for individual songs or entire albums but I want the music on my phone and not just a specific app.

Is there an app for Android like ITunes where I can download music directly to my phone and not an app like Amazon Music or Spotify? I'm willing to pay for individual songs or entire albums but I want the music on my phone and not just a specific app.

AFAIK iTunes was discontinued, or renamed, and is now Apple Music.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.apple.android.music

Maybe they want to keep the "I" initialism just for their iOS products, iPhone and iPad?

Last edited:
YouTube music you can download music directly to your phone to listen off line.
Yeah but you don't own the music. And it can be taken away at any time (license disputes with artists, etc, Google killing the app in a few years like with Play Music) Still irks me that Google won't allow you to BUY songs any more. The whole World Economic Forum mantra "You'll own nothing, and you will be happy"

I assume OP wants a legal way to buy and download music. I think you will need Amazon Music for that since I have not found any way to buy music legally as an *.MP3 (that is DRM-free and can be shared across various devices, burned to a CD, etc) other than via Amazon. Apple downloads any purchases on your Apple ID as some type of proprietary format only their app likes.

Amazon Music (without the subscription) downloads purchases made on Amazon.com's site as MP3 files that can be used with whatever music player you prefer. (I still cling hard to the Android 2.3 Gingerbread Music player (AOSP Music.apk). They removed the store from the app, so you have to use Amazon.com to buy the songs as 'MP3 albums' (they made it a number of infuriating steps, bless them!) and then they should show up under 'cloud library' in the music app, and downloadable. Then you just open whatever app you like to play offline music and it will find them.

Last edited:
Unless you are on Windows, in which case, iTunes still exists. But that's only if you use a PC to transfer stuff to the phone.

Really?

music.jpg

I only use MacBooks for my own stuff, and iTunes on this has been branded as Apple Music since 2019. But it works in exactly the same way, I can buy songs without DRM, either as AAC or Apple Lossless(ALAC), and they'll transfer to and play on any Android device.

You could do a search for the music on Youtube, but use an app like NewPipe to do it.

NewPipe allows for downloading anything from YouTube, among other things.

Beware of fake NewPipe apps by that name or another.
If you see ads while using the app, it is not the real NewPipe app.
(Ads that are a part of the programming are different, and not blocked.)

Once I download them from Apple Music where do the files go? I have searched my phone and can't find them.

There Are Only 3 Locations Where Downloaded Songs Can Be Found Within Your Storage.
In Internal Storage With Specified App Folder. ...
Android<Data<(App Package Name) like com.apple.android.music (Can Be Accessed Without Root)
Inside Internal Root Location or Say System Location Like.

There Are Only 3 Locations Where Downloaded Songs Can Be Found Within Your Storage.
In Internal Storage With Specified App Folder. ...
Android<Data<(App Package Name) like com.apple.android.music (Can Be Accessed Without Root)
Inside Internal Root Location or Say System Location Like.
I don't see it anywhere. Same would downloading from Amazon music be any different?

Last edited:
Back