• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Drive(n)

Rgarner

Android Expert
At least some people on here ought to know what I think of googoo. However, there's a pretty big file that I probably won't be able to get without using their drive. Well, I checked to see how it works and I got a message in some language I don't know, Dutch maybe. I'm pretty sure it's asking for email address, and that rectangle at the end most likely leads to the next page. What gives? Why is it not in English, or am I just being a jerk? Is this trustworthy?

I avoid the 'cloud' like the plague myself too. I don't trust that whatever I put there will actually be there later. Once a Google+ user a few years ago lost his entire MP3 collection due to a copyright strike. I have had many areas I love listening to music at, such as forest hikes and deer parks, that have no service and means I rely heavily on expandable storage and local media playback. I also don't like feeding any algorithms.

But that might just be me getting old. I've become a curmudgean lately and have been in the act of literally downgrading my home and my life. Still keeping an eye out for that elusive '73 B-Body Chrsyler Cordoba.

At least some people on here ought to know what I think of googoo. However, there's a pretty big file that I probably won't be able to get without using their drive. Well, I checked to see how it works and I got a message in some language I don't know, Dutch maybe. I'm pretty sure it's asking for email address, and that rectangle at the end most likely leads to the next page. What gives? Why is it not in English, or am I just being a jerk? Is this trustworthy?
how did you get this message? from the google drive app? on a browser?

If it's a phishing attempt you'd think they'd do a better job at looking legit. I've had far more convincing attempts to fool me into handing my Amazon account details over but I've never been that stupid. First of all, Amazon doesn't 'text' people's cell phone number for billing problems! Also, they don't have my current cell number so I ignored it. But still, their little MMS looked more legit than what OP is describing.

Thanks, I won't take my chances. It was indeed a file from a website which I have used before with no problem. However, it was supposed to be in English. I guess sometimes bad stuff just happens.

I still beam stuff via Bluetooth. Never got out of the 2005 mindset just yet. Kinda was forced into it since Google ditched USB Mass Storage and none of my PCs will work properly with MTP (Curse you Google! nobody asked you to do that!). So file transfers are a huge pain (my AOSP flip phone still has USB Mass Storage thank goodness or i'd never get the 500+ MP3s I had backed up on my computer but not on the SD card to transfer until like a few years from now)

I have Terabox account, also I use it very frequently to nab things off my p.c. and put it there, and sometimes on my ps3. Besides I know what I do onto it and quickly delete the material inside of my comp.

Nothing was easier to do than plugging your phone into the PC and tapping 'USB Mass Storage Enable' on the phone screen. Then you just copy pasted like you were copying to a floppy disk.

Then Google had to go and mess everything up and now only complicated solutions exist that are much, much worse.

I might have a flip phone that still supports it, but I have seen no ROM out there for any of my tablets to enable or include USB Mass Storage on a modern-ish version of Android. Is it not possible or just omitted?

I wish companies would go back to satisfying customer demand instead of making their own decisons and frell the customers like today.

Nothing was easier to do than plugging your phone into the PC and tapping 'USB Mass Storage Enable' on the phone screen. Then you just copy pasted like you were copying to a floppy disk.

Then Google had to go and mess everything up and now only complicated solutions exist that are much, much worse.

I might have a flip phone that still supports it, but I have seen no ROM out there for any of my tablets to enable or include USB Mass Storage on a modern-ish version of Android. Is it not possible or just omitted?

I wish companies would go back to satisfying customer demand instead of making their own decisons and frell the customers like today.
I do both acutally, I still plug in my Edge plus, and have it to show it, but somehow I have to take off the cover and connected via usb cord, somehow it sometimes will not connect for a spell.

Ever since Google went MTP, I can't copy/paste to any phone or tablet like I could with USB Mass Storage. Linux, Windows Vista, or Windows XP. If it showed up at all, it thought the phone was a digital camera for some reason and refused to do more than copy photos/documents. I couldn't get music onto the tablets or phones. The only workaround was beaming them over bluetooth, which can take hours if you're transferring tons of music or videos.

MTP is another in the huge long list of bad Google decisions. How about not fixing what isn't broken?

What the heck is MTP? Since this is googoo, I can think of some unsavory possibilities. However, I'm assuming it's their own glowingly euphemistic term for whatever crap it really is. Thus, if I got stuck with a crimebook, even if I modded it with Linux, added minimal adb + fastboot, and prayed for days I still would not be able to do mass transfer? I guess a hard drive wouldn't help. I'm still thinking about that 2 tb Toshiba at Walmart. If I buy it at the store and it's defective, I can return it for a refund, right? If I ever find a way to "downgrade" to a better version of Android, I'm on it...

What the heck is MTP? Since this is googoo, I can think of some unsavory possibilities. However, I'm assuming it's their own glowingly euphemistic term for whatever crap it really is. Thus, if I got stuck with a crimebook, even if I modded it with Linux, added minimal adb + fastboot, and prayed for days I still would not be able to do mass transfer? I guess a hard drive wouldn't help. I'm still thinking about that 2 tb Toshiba at Walmart. If I buy it at the store and it's defective, I can return it for a refund, right? If I ever find a way to "downgrade" to a better version of Android, I'm on it...
MTP = Media Transfer Protocall, connected via usb or even stuck into the cloud though forever. You are welcome.

Thank you, it's good to know. I'm wondering how to transfer things such as photos and videos from a device that has no SD card and cannot use one. Would I connect it directly to another device with a cable? Would it make a difference if the second device is a computer?

USB Mass Storage died off with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean (4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich for some Samsung phones such as the Galaxy SIII) and 6.0 Marshmallow on AOSP-based flip phones.

My ZTE Cymbal LTE running AOSP 5.1.1 Lollipop (base Android, no Google apps, no app store, no package installer) is the most modern phone that supports Mass Storage (although it doesn't need me to tap to enable but that's because it doesn't have a touch screen).

USB Mass Storage made the phone show up as a USB flash drive in any OS, Linux, Windows, etc. MTP is a half baked attempt to do the same but requires drivers and doesn't "like" Linux at all. Windows for me tends to do nothing or make it show up like it's a digital camera and only allows me to copy pictures and sometimes documents. Can't send music to it when connected to a PC. MTP sorta works on other OSs like Linux (if you're lucky with the distro lottery) but the results are extremely slow, likely to freeze sending any large files over. It's about like beaming them via Bluetooth but less stable.

As stated, ten times worse. I will never get why. Nothing I found online makes sense (such as all the excuses being about not being able to use the phone when connected via Mass Storage but why would you want to? You're not going to be connected for very long so ???)

Connecting an older phone or tablet that supports USB Mass Storage would make a screen like this appear:

SGS2-ICS-USB-Mass-Storage.jpg

I miss when Android was meant for geeks and demanded you to mess with it. Features like this were wonderful while they lasted. Today it's like Google is trying too hard to be Apple and make Android look and act more like iOS. Diminishing returns ever since.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom