• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Driver/USB Mode Connection Issue

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 x64 and cannot find a driver for my Samsung intercept which will allow the computer/phone to interface with the computer. Windows does not have a native driver for the phone, and on Samsung's Web Page the driver is listed for Vista, however when I try to run it an error appears telling me that my processor type (64 bit) is not supported. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

Thanks,
Wes

Windows does not have a native driver for the phone, and on Samsung's Web Page the driver is listed for Vista, however when I try to run it an error appears telling me that my processor type (64 bit) is not supported. Any ideas on how to remedy this?

The Samsung driver to which you refer is for tethering the phone, which VM doesn't allow.

No native or other driver is required to connect the phone to your computer and share files. If you are having trouble doing that, there are a number of threads on how to resolve problems in this forum and in the Sprint forum from several months ago.

That isn't correct. Every post I have read in this forum has to do with connecting the phone to the computer in order to view the phone's system. Windows 7 does not have a driver gor this. This isn't a tethering issue and nobody else's issue was a tethering issue. ALL DEVICES require a driver to interface with the computer client-side in ANY fashion.
HTML:

Allow me to clarify.

There is no external driver that you need to download and install on your PC to have your PC recognize the phone. If it cannot recognize it and install the proper internal USB driver, chances are, you are either using a bad cable, OR, like on my high-end DELL Laptop which runs XP (32bit), I have success ONLY when I use a USB1.1 port, like that replicated on my USB keyboard or LCD displays that I use with the Laptop.

Now then, you have alternatives. May I suggest two.

Download SwiFTP from the Market to your phone, and an FTP client for your PC from the web (like FileZilla or equivalent). Use FTP to move files back and forth.

Download MyPhoneExplorer from the Market to your phone, and MyPhoneExplorer client for your PC from the web. Open up your Firewall so the ports used by the phone and program are not blocked (Google it).

When people are telling you the drivers on Samsung's site are for tethering, what they mean is these are Modem drivers. Don't install these!

Good Luck.

since when does VM not allow tethering? I tethered from Dec until recently when my computer would give me the "device not recignised" thing.
I got a new cord and it's still not working. When did VM disable it?

since when does VM not allow tethering? I tethered from Dec until recently when my computer would give me the "device not recignised" thing.
I got a new cord and it's still not working. When did VM disable it?

My understanding is that they never "allowed" it, but were pretty random in their enforcement.

Harvickchick,
Maybe the information at this link will help you.
PC Studio and Windows 7

Tethering is against the terms of service though. It's all on their webpage. You agreed to it when you purchased a phone and signed yourself up for service.

Back
Top Bottom