• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Droid 2 - Much better than Droid 1?

jonmchugh

Looking on CL to get either the Droid 1 or Droid 2. My heart is set on the Droid 2. I can get 1 around $200 and a Droid 1 around $150. Is the Droid 2 that much of a upgrade over the Droid 1? I know the keyboard is a lot nicer on the Droid 1. My budget is around $200. I'm not due for an upgrade until Novemeber. So, it's down to the Droid 1 and Droid 2. Leaning towards the Droid 2 however unless I can get a great deal on a Droid 1

Thanks!

Droid 2 is faster, more RAM, better keyboard, arrow keys v directional pad, same screen, same camera, scaled down Blur, some "bloatware", better software keyboard stock (but, there's an app for that). Droid is pretty much native Android (no Blur, little/no bloatware). Both run Android 2.2 (or, in the case of Droid, can be upgraded to it).

Droid 2 is faster, more RAM, better keyboard, arrow keys v directional pad, same screen, same camera, scaled down Blur, some "bloatware", better software keyboard stock (but, there's an app for that). Droid is pretty much native Android (no Blur, little/no bloatware). Both run Android 2.2 (or, in the case of Droid, can be upgraded to it).

So my question is; is the Droid 2 worth that extra $50 vs the Droid 1?

That's a question only you can decide. How important to you is speed & better keyboard v. native Android? It kind of boils down to that. Personally, I chose the D2G for +$50 over the D2 because it was a bit faster, and at least had the option of global use. YMMV.

In my opinion the DROID2 is worth the $50 upgrade. I came over to the DROID2 from the DROID, and it has been nothing but a great upgrade in almost every aspect. The only thing that the DROID beats out the DROID2 on are the ROMS that can be applied to a rooted phone. The DROID community is huge, and tight knit. Seems like they get a new ROM every week. But asside from that, the speed and solid build of the DROID2 wins out over the DROID.

In my opinion the DROID2 is worth the $50 upgrade. I came over to the DROID2 from the DROID, and it has been nothing but a great upgrade in almost every aspect. The only thing that the DROID beats out the DROID2 on are the ROMS that can be applied to a rooted phone. The DROID community is huge, and tight knit. Seems like they get a new ROM every week. But asside from that, the speed and solid build of the DROID2 wins out over the DROID.

yeah. the only problem is that there really aren't that many Droid 2 postings in my local area on CL. I mean they overprice phones on there. I am not payig $300 for a Droid 2. I can get a Droid 1 as low as $100. The cheapest I have found a Droid 2 for is around $200.

not payig $300 for a Droid 2. I can get a Droid 1 as low as $100. The cheapest I have found a Droid 2 for is around $200.

That's a great price for that phone.

The Droid is in and of itself, if you know what I mean. Its $100 price as compared to the 2 seems just about right, considering the processor, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth: I'd get the 2 and consider it money well spent, if I were trying to make a choice between those two particular phones.

When i bought my Droid 2 in December it costed me 163 out the door. With as fast as smartphone technology is moving I think you should definitely get the Droid 2

Motorola with vanilla Android trumps all, BUT with the locked boot-loaders (Droid 2 and above)I am now moving to HTC, LG, or Samsung. I wanted to get the Bionic until I found out they are all locked from Motorola. I love to change roms and tinker, Moto threw a wrench into that. I suppose I will get the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung 4G, or the LG Revolution when these phones are out in a few weeks.

I am using a Droid 1 -overclocked to 1.1 GHz with Liquid Gingerbread (Android 2.3.2)

droid 2 is much better than droid in mannny ways but has great keyboard and speed and best of all i got a buy one get one free for only 200 bucks with unlimited txting and data

Motorola with vanilla Android trumps all, BUT with the locked boot-loaders (Droid 2 and above)I am now moving to HTC, LG, or Samsung. I wanted to get the Bionic until I found out they are all locked from Motorola. I love to change roms and tinker, Moto threw a wrench into that. I suppose I will get the HTC Thunderbolt, Samsung 4G, or the LG Revolution when these phones are out in a few weeks.

I am using a Droid 1 -overclocked to 1.1 GHz with Liquid Gingerbread (Android 2.3.2)

You realize that they've managed to get around it and custom ROMs have been loaded on the Droid 2 and the Droid X, right? I wouldn't buy inferior products just because it took the community longer to figure out a way to root them. I am a huge fan of LG but that processor that they left in the Revolution is too outdated + added fail for not having a keyboard.

To answer the original question: I would not go back to the D1 on a bet. It's a nice phone but way too slow and needs more RAM. The keyboard is more comfortable but still a disgrace.

Back
Top Bottom