• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Droid Eris Rooting question

CGfreak102

Lurker
Mar 23, 2010
Hello, I have been using my HTC Eris for about 15 Days now on the verizon network. Still hoping that the Nexus one gets released before my 30 day trial is up.

Anyways. I have been looking up information about Rooting my phone. I got a general understand of what it does and how to do it. Along to upgrading my Android OS to 2.1. But i am looking for some Cons and pros of doing it. I understand that i have the chance of bricking it, that im fine with. But if i Brick it will i be able to get it replaced?

For instance, will it void my warranty i have through Best buy?

Also lets say i root my device and VZW releases the 2.1 OS for download, will i be able to change to that version?

Also with upgrading to 2.1 will HTC Sense still be on my phone?

I am in the same boat you are.
I posted up a thread "lets make a deal..." a few days back and have made the deal with myself that if all looks good, I will root on friday.

Rooting will void warranties. Just make sure you know what you're doing and you should be fine. Its the novice things that get users in trouble and turn their phones to bricks. I dont know if you can get it replaced with the "30 days" they give you.

Pros:
Custom ROMs that are optimized by the devs
Tether wifi with another device
increased speed

Cons:
builds can be unstable
long troubleshoot process if something goes wrong
the possibility of creating an expensive doorstop

Upvote 0
yea i have done plenty of stuff like this. i have done custom uploads for router firmwares. But overall im pretty good at following directions. but im more worried about voiding warranty and then 3 months having something internal go bad on me and then getting stuck paying 500 bucks for a new phone.

Upvote 0
I am in the same boat you are.
I posted up a thread "lets make a deal..." a few days back and have made the deal with myself that if all looks good, I will root on friday.

Rooting will void warranties. Just make sure you know what you're doing and you should be fine. Its the novice things that get users in trouble and turn their phones to bricks. I dont know if you can get it replaced with the "30 days" they give you.

Pros:
Custom ROMs that are optimized by the devs
Tether wifi with another device
increased speed

Cons:
builds can be unstable
long troubleshoot process if something goes wrong
the possibility of creating an expensive doorstop

Not really a good door stop, too thin...:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones