• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Droid Turbo overheating while turbocharging?

eskimio

Lurker
i.imgur(dot)com/R6N9V0N(dot)jpg

My 32GB Droid Turbo (Ballistic) peaked at 141*F (~60.5*C) while turbocharging the other day while lying on my desk in 80*F ambient temperature. Previously I had seen it spike to about 125-130*F and it had worried me. Now that it has not only happened again, but it has increased in temperature, I am very worried that I may have a faulty unit. Is this normal? Or, should I take it in to be repaired/replaced?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

This is another situation I have been around and around with Verizon. Took it to local corporate store, of course, wouldn't over heat. I showed them screen shots, no good. They did say it is covered under the warranty if it over heats and caused damage. They told me it could go as high as 145 with no damage, I particularly don't believe them. But, as long as it's covered under warranty I no longer worry about it.

Well. I got the warranty deal so hopefully if my phone blows itself up in the next year, it'll be covered.
I, too, don't trust that it will last very long reaching 145*F regularly, but there's not much that can be done except to police the processes and turbocharging in an attempt to keep the temps down.
Here's hoping.

So typical computer processors can reach temperatures of 80C. At this temperature a force shutdown occurs. I would definitely not be too concerned unless your device keeps getting very hot and then shuts off and restarts.

This would be concerning because your device is turning itself off to protect itself from being damaged by the heat.

If this doesn't happen I wouldn't worry. If your device continually gets hot and you don't like that try a different charger or perhaps just factory reset your device, I do the latter from time to time so that I feel I have a fresh phone.

I stopped using the Turbo Charger altogether and use a regular charger from another phone. I was more worried that such temperatures would degrade my battery's health in no time. The phone charges normally from regular chargers (branded ones) and I don't see any reason to use the one that came with the phone.

I used the Turbo charger only once, for the first charge when I got the phone. It got warm, but not overly so. That was probably due to the battery not being completely discharged. Li-Ion batteries draw less and less current as they charge. Conversely, they draw the highest current when they are low in charge. There isn't much that you can do, if you want a fast charge it comes with more heat, especially if you start from a very low battery.

I recharge my phone during the night 99% of the time (and I keep it off), so I too use a regular charger. It takes 4-5 hours to charge, but I do not care, I am sleeping anyway :-)

In general, a slow charge is always better for any battery. Heat is the #1 enemy for the chemicals in it. Overheating affects the battery more than the electronics.

I use a Tylt Vu charger that is sitting next to my workstation. It conveniently holds the Turbo at a 45 degree angle. If I am in a period of very heavy usage I will occasionally use the Turbo charger to get fully charged again.

(The annoying boing sound is back in 5.1 when you put the Turbo on a wireless charger.)

... Thom

Ah, ah, I have to try that. Since I got Lollipop I have't tried again Wireless Charging. I have a Qi pad at work.

In general, a slow charge is always better for any battery. Heat is the #1 enemy for the chemicals in it. Overheating affects the battery more than the electronics.
While this is generally accepted, I have seen no long-term controlled study that shows that this is true specifically for a Droid Turbo. Almost every study I have seen is for laptop batteries. It's possible that the actual cells are well insulated from the heat. Also, the turbo charger only does a fast charge until 78% - after that, it charges as slowly/quickly as a "normal" charger.

... and previous reports were that the warm Turbo was below the temperature threshold stated for the device. It probably is warmer if you leave it in the car.

I use the Tylt Vu because it is convenient to charge without a wire.

... Thom

Last edited:
I thank all you folks on advice about charging..
I just got my Turbo 2 today and was wondering why it got so warm charging it...I just got out of the drawer my older 1150 mAh charger from my Droid Maxx that I no longer use...it's the double USB kind from Motorola.. I agree a slower charge would be better for the batt so I'm gonna give it a try tonight..thanks guys!

I thank all you folks on advice about charging..
I just got my Turbo 2 today and was wondering why it got so warm charging it...I just got out of the drawer my older 1150 mAh charger from my Droid Maxx that I no longer use...it's the double USB kind from Motorola.. I agree a slower charge would be better for the batt so I'm gonna give it a try tonight..thanks guys!
Follow up... Went back to the stock turbo charger.. Droid Maxx charger wouldn't charge the Turbo2 at all..

Back
Top Bottom