• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dropped phone, quiet speaker now.

Darklink

I was very excited to get my Evo V 4G.. I told myself to treat it extra special so it can least awhile. The very first day I had it, I got out of my car at work at night, it was on my lap, it fell on the pavement. Wow, I was really mad. I'm not as mad now.. since this still is an awesome phone compared to my Triumph.

The bottom left corner/bezel around the home screen.. The aluminum piece bent out a little. I can't bend it back while the phone is put together. I can deal with that.. When I'm on the phone, the ear speaker is very low. It worked great when I first used it. I have messed with the software and also I'm running angry bean. It definitely is a hardware failure. If I didn't damage the bezel.. I would return the phone or call VM for a warrenty fix.

Has anyone taken apart their Evo V's? I used to take apart intercepts and actually had this same problem before. The ear speaker was detachable and the metal contacts were loose. When I pressed them tighter together, the sound worked better. I'm wondering how hard it is to take this one apart.. If it was worth messing with. I am using speakerphone or a bluetooth earpiece for calls, kind of annoying.. But I still love the phone performance.

Yep it's easy to replace. To get to the speaker you just have to remove the back case then unscrew some screws to get behind the top part of mother board. Funny when I put together my evo v after breaking the screen all my phone calls was silent. Realized the actual speaker was a little piece behind the mother board. You can ebay a new one for cheap and its easy to replace. But yes your right the ear speaker is a little piece with 2 prongs

Cool thanks. I also checked out the Ifixit page.. Looked easy. Do you think I can use the same parts as the Evo 3D?(except for motherboard/chip stuff) There are plenty of cheap broken ones out there.

Edit:

Just bought this for $8 shipped from hong kong. On my intercept the sprint parts were interchangeable and I'm assuming this is also.. It also comes with the tools, so even if it just needs to be secured better.. I got it.

Yep anything you ever need is most likely going to say evo 3d.. such as cases and accessories. That one will work fine :thumbup: my new screen says htc sprint while my original screen just said htc and it works fine.

Good luck.

Back