• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dual channel memory

soapinmouth

Android Enthusiast
Apr 7, 2010
Ive read a few coments around different forums stating the droid x has ipddr2 running in dual channel but can't find any concrete evidence of it. Ive also read posts from people saying that the fascinate does not run in dual channel but is still ipddr2.. What exactly does this mean and is there any truth to it? I was thinking if its similar to how pc memory works it could be why the x is getting higher benchmarks or is this all nonsense? Thanks, deciding between x and

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Droid X uses LPDDR2 which stands for Low Power Double Data Rate 2, which is the 2nd generation of DDR memory. Most phones use LPDDR1.
LPDDR2 has about twice the bandwidth of LPDDR1 while using less power.
I don't think it is dual channel, as that would require double the memory chips, and double the width of the memory bus. both of which are expensive in phones (not much real estate to put all this stuff on it).

The speed up people are seeing on the X is due to the LPDDR2. It is essentially twice as fast as LPDDR1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones