• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Dual connectivity

• Thread starter Thread starter WiFi and 4G both on
  • Start date Start date
W

WiFi and 4G both on

5.0 running on a new GS5. Both the Wi-Fi and 4G icons are on at the same time. I've never seen that. How do I change that?

I'll have a look at my wife's in a second but I think the setting is called download booster or something. It just means the phone can use wifi and data at the same time to improve speed

No, download booster isn't on. Last night I got a Samsung tech to check out the phone through an app (which was a leap of faith on my part.) She determined it is due to Mobile Data being on and said I need to manually switch it on and off each time I log onto wifi. My S3 with Android 4.4 wasn't like this.

No, download booster isn't on. Last night I got a Samsung tech to check out the phone through an app (which was a leap of faith on my part.) She determined it is due to Mobile Data being on and said I need to manually switch it on and off each time I log onto wifi. My S3 with Android 4.4 wasn't like this.
Mine does it too. I always thought it meant 4g connection available. It may also be used for hd voice or w/e it's called

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-20-12-35-43.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-20-12-35-43.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Hmm just checked my wife's s5 and when her wifi is on and connected, the 4g icon disappears and reappears when she turns off wifi (or isn't connected)....
.. So is it using your data plan while connected to wifi?

Mine does it too. I always thought it meant 4g connection available. It may also be used for hd voice or w/e it's called

I was told that when they are both on, the data flow is through wifi. The issue is battery life, which takes a hit.

I was told that when they are both on, the data flow is through wifi. The issue is battery life, which takes a hit.
If data is flowing through wifi then why would battery life take a hit? Just indicating 4G in the status bar but not actually sending/receving anything shouldn't use up battery. Not saying you're not correct, but I don't see the logic.

If data is flowing through wifi then why would battery life take a hit? Just indicating 4G in the status bar but not actually sending/receving anything shouldn't use up battery. Not saying you're not correct, but I don't see the logic.
I'm thinking that 4G is still looking for and maintaining service. Maybe it's not that big of a deal. My daughter's boyfriend has the same thing but when he uses heavy data, the 4G icon grays out. Mine doesn't do that.

Back
Top Bottom