• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Dual Sim operation - not enough dual sim control.

guygamps

Lurker
Apr 13, 2012
Hello, I have had two Dual SIM Android Smartphones in recent years, one was Chinese brand (Zopo) and other was Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos. In each case I had an option screen in Settings which offered individually as follows:
  • Voice Call
    • Use Sim 1
    • Use Sim 2
    • Always Ask
  • SMS
    • Use Sim 1
    • Use Sim 2
    • Always Ask
  • Video Call
    • Use Sim 1
    • Use Sim 2
    • Always Ask
  • Data Connection
    • Use Sim 1
    • Use Sim 2

with the above control I could easily predetermine the phones behaviour.

But my new Sony Z3 D6683 (not 6633), has no such control , in the settings menu, I can only select which Sim card is used for Data, and in the dialler and messaging app I have to select on every call or text which Sim to use (it is preset in Always Ask condition). This is very backwards step, and I am losing flexiblity I have had in last 3 years of using dual SIM phones. I have found 3rd party solution (Truedialler) which has icon in bottom of screen which allows selection of Sim 1/Sim 2/Always ask, but really the Sony built in software should do this. Did I miss something.

How about for SMS though? I would like to find a SMS app that supports Dual SIM management, but I need SMS syncing with the web, I currently use MySMS but it does not support Dual SIM very well.

I have a D6633 and also went through the same boat. Here's how I solved my challenges:

For calls, I use PixelPhone Pro. The first time you call a contact or number, it will ask you whether to use SIM 1 or SIM 2. However, it also offers an option that you can put a tick/check for it to remember which SIM to use the next time you make a call to the same contact or number. Of course, if you want all calls to use a specific SIM, you can do that in the app's settings/dual-SIM menu and select the SIM it will always use to make calls.

For SMS, I use GoSMS. It supports dual SIM and can backup to the cloud (GoCloud and Dropbox). I don't use the cloud features so I won't be able to tell you whether or not it's good.

I must mention that I had to go with the commercial versions of these products. I simply can't find free dialers and SMS apps that has everything I want (including NOT seeing any advertisements).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones