• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Eating SD cards like they are Skittles!!!!!

DoctorCAD

I have now gone through 3 different SD cards and each time, my Tab 2 7.0 destroys the data on them.

Its never consistent. The only common thing is that I can no longer use any of the files that are on the SD card and I end up with thousands of 0 byte files with odd characters as names. Nothing short of a full format will get rid of the files. Also, the names of most of the directories gets changed. Navigator got changed to Navi9or and is not accessible.

What brand and type of SD cards is working for everyone? I can't imagine I bought 3 "bad" ones.

I have been using my SanDisk card for about a year and a half and I don't have any issue with it :fingers crossed :

I have now gone through 3 different SD cards and each time, my Tab 2 7.0 destroys the data on them.

Its never consistent. The only common thing is that I can no longer use any of the files that are on the SD card and I end up with thousands of 0 byte files with odd characters as names. Nothing short of a full format will get rid of the files. Also, the names of most of the directories gets changed. Navigator got changed to Navi9or and is not accessible.

What brand and type of SD cards is working for everyone? I can't imagine I bought 3 "bad" ones.

That sounds unusual. I haven't heard of anything similar. Any chance that you're using any dodgy apps; or, swapping the card onto another device that might corrupt them?

Where are you getting the cards, ebay(possibly counterfeit)? brand?

I have the same problem, outlined in a separate thread.

I am using a dedicated Sandisk class 10 32Gb card bought at Costco.

I have discovered several threads spread over the internet about this issue... I haven't determined whether this is a software or hardware issue, but I am seeing this happening to Galaxy S3, as well.

I've been using a 16gb class 6 Sandisk card in mine since September without any issues. I purchased mine at one of the local Walmarts. I prefer to my stuff locally unless it's a really good deal online.

I've been using a 16gb class 6 Sandisk card in mine since September without any issues. I purchased mine at one of the local Walmarts. I prefer to my stuff locally unless it's a really good deal online.

Ditto, no problems at all here. I would recommend to anyone experiencing these issues to check the Galaxy S3 forums to find the likely cause/solution.

I have never moved the card out of the tablet, except to re-format and reload after a corruption.

I thought an app might be causing the problem and have removed it, same results a few months later.

Got one card with a Samsung phone, got one from Amazon and one from my companys employee store. All 3 have had the same issue.

I am not alone, just look at this topic on this forum and you will find many posts with people wondering if "THEY" did something wrong...

Here is a link to a detailed test report that was conducted on a Samsung trashed SD card

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...d-card-fried-new-galaxy-s3-4.html#post2506929

Looks like a defective power supply in the device caused this failure...

Hmmm... this has a familiar ring to it, as I recall there is a "quick format" offered along with "full format" on some devices, and the full format is the one that is most reliable.

Also, the adaptor issue: the advice seems to be to use a reader rather than an adaptor for similar reasons as full formatting.

You might try the chkdsk utility on your Windows PC if you have one:

- Connect your Android device to your PC and mount it as a disk drive (i.e. mass storage mode).

- On your PC, open My Computer and take note of the drive letter that's assigned to your Android device's sd card.

- On your PC, click on Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt.

- Enter the following command: chkdsk [sd card drive letter]: /r

I have never moved the card out of the tablet, except to re-format and reload after a corruption.

I thought an app might be causing the problem and have removed it, same results a few months later.

Got one card with a Samsung phone, got one from Amazon and one from my companys employee store. All 3 have had the same issue.

I am not alone, just look at this topic on this forum and you will find many posts with people wondering if "THEY" did something wrong...

Here is a link to a detailed test report that was conducted on a Samsung trashed SD card

SD card fried in new Galaxy S3 - Page 4 - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Looks like a defective power supply in the device caused this failure...

From the link:
The pattern that I have noticed is that the card seems to go bad after I have recorded a long/large video. My google+ is configured to upload to instant upload only when I have wifi access and the phone is plugged in. I wonder if there is some weird issue (heat related, voltage related, who knows) of trying to upload a large amount of data while charging (or simply processing certain background tasks while charging).

So does this resemble any activity that you've been doing?

Does the tablet have a similar power supply; anyone's tablet get overheated?

From the link:
The pattern that I have noticed is that the card seems to go bad after I have recorded a long/large video. My google+ is configured to upload to instant upload only when I have wifi access and the phone is plugged in. I wonder if there is some weird issue (heat related, voltage related, who knows) of trying to upload a large amount of data while charging (or simply processing certain background tasks while charging).

So does this resemble any activity that you've been doing?

Does the tablet have a similar power supply; anyone's tablet get overheated?

No resemblance to that. This time I was receiving an email with moms vacation photos on it and the tablet said that I had no SD card. It has not been out of the tab.

My tab does get warm, not hot, but that is a relative term. What is the allowable internal temp? Who knows...

Back
Top Bottom