• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Email app?

vhl71

Finally got my sgs3 ..moved from iPhone after 7 yrs!!

So obviously trying to learn android. The stock email app works fine for my gmail..but for my iCloud email account it doesn't support push. I need the email delivered instantly to my inbox similar to gmail or Microsoft exchange.

Tried other alternates like k9 mail. It seem to work ok for iCloud but the interface is not very nice. Other programs like mail.com or aquamail etc has problems such as having the sent emails storied on the server Esther than a separate sent folder

Can u guys recommend something that will work for both gmail and iCloud accounts?

Thanks

Finally got my sgs3 ..moved from iPhone after 7 yrs!!

So obviously trying to learn android. The stock email app works fine for my gmail..but for my iCloud email account it doesn't support push. I need the email delivered instantly to my inbox similar to gmail or Microsoft exchange.

Tried other alternates like k9 mail. It seem to work ok for iCloud but the interface is not very nice. Other programs like mail.com or aquamail etc has problems such as having the sent emails storied on the server Esther than a separate sent folder

Can u guys recommend something that will work for both gmail and iCloud accounts?

Thanks

no suggestions??

the first iphone was released June 2007 so im impressed you have been using an iphone for 7 years!!

to your question, can your icloud email be forwarded to your gmail?

than you would only need to use the gmail app

the first iphone was released June 2007 so im impressed you have been using an iphone for 7 years!!

to your question, can your icloud email be forwarded to your gmail?

than you would only need to use the gmail app

Ok. My mistake. I'd the Iphone since 2007

So no thee way of setting up iCloud email without forwarding to gmail.
No apps that work with iCloud?
As I said k9 app works fine to get I stent iCloud emails. But the UI Is not that good and also the search capabilities are limited

Far as I know iCloud doesn't support any standard protocol for push email. Apple only supports IMAP/SMTP (iCloud: Mail server information) so you have no push options. If they support push on their own email clients (OSX/iOS) they either have some secret way to enable it or are using something proprietary.

If iCloud email supports forwarding you could do the forward-to-gmail trick, but that sucks unless you're serious about switching to a gmail account full-time.

iCloud would have to support Activesync for push to work on Android. There is also "IMAP IDLE", but I'm not sure what email clients on android support it (and I'm pretty sure apple doesn't use that either).

Far as I know iCloud doesn't support any standard protocol for push email. Apple only supports IMAP/SMTP (iCloud: Mail server information) so you have no push options. If they support push on their own email clients (OSX/iOS) they either have some secret way to enable it or are using something proprietary.

If iCloud email supports forwarding you could do the forward-to-gmail trick, but that sucks unless you're serious about switching to a gmail account full-time.

iCloud would have to support Activesync for push to work on Android. There is also "IMAP IDLE", but I'm not sure what email clients on android support it (and I'm pretty sure apple doesn't use that either).

as i said, k9 works perfectly well with icloud push. I get mails without having to fetch using this app. But the UI is not that nice and also searching features are not that good compared to the iphone native mail app

I'm looking for any other alternatives to k9 where i can have all my emails come in from various accounts

I Have not tried gmail in it, but I can not see why not

I use Enhance Email
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/580565-hotmail-enhanced-email-setup-siii-icloud-charter-settings.html

You will find the setup for iCloud in that thread.

The only thing I don't like about EE is
If I past a link to some website it only goes to text on the receivers end
Meaning they have to copy and past the link its not clickable (EE says they are going to fix this in some future release, just not sure when, but a major release is due, I hope). This is the best I have tried out yet to date, for the life of me, I don't know why samsung screwed up the standard email app sooooo much for in the first place. My Moto Zoom tablet has ISC now jelly bean and it works perfect on that!

I was thinking of trying out the standard email app (again, I forgot what I don't like with that), that comes with our siii but I'm not sure iCloud will work, but in that thread are the settings for iCloud.

Let me know what you think and what you do
Best of luck

I Have not tried gmail in it, but I can not see why not

I use Enhance Email
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/580565-hotmail-enhanced-email-setup-siii-icloud-charter-settings.html

You will find the setup for iCloud in that thread.

The only thing I don't like about EE is
If I past a link to some website it only goes to text on the receivers end
Meaning they have to copy and past the link its not clickable (EE says they are going to fix this in some future release, just not sure when, but a major release is due, I hope). This is the best I have tried out yet to date, for the life of me, I don't know why samsung screwed up the standard email app sooooo much for in the first place. My Moto Zoom tablet has ISC now jelly bean and it works perfect on that!

I was thinking of trying out the standard email app (again, I forgot what I don't like with that), that comes with our siii but I'm not sure iCloud will work, but in that thread are the settings for iCloud.

Let me know what you think and what you do
Best of luck

thanks
I wish i could use EE ona trial basis- dont want to spend 10 bucks without trying it for UI. as i said K9 works ok except for search and general UI
Is there a way i could try this for a day or week?

You can try it from here, there is a trial copy good for 7 days..
• Index page

But keep in mind that I personally had bad luck with their trial. Paid version works for me.

Hopefully it is good enough to see if EE fills your needs, or maybe read or ask a question on there about what you want, they usually get back in 24hrs

edit:
it looks like gmail works with it
this is the update they are working on, beta now or soon.
http://quantumsolutions.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2712&start=40

I use mail.com mail app. It works great with iCloud. I have the push time set to 1 minute and its worked flawlessly.

If your unsure of how to configure the servers you can use the info at santoshsingh.net/?p=482.

I can't post links yet so just add the standard h*** slash slash without 3 w's.

You can try it from here, there is a trial copy good for 7 days..
• Index page

But keep in mind that I personally had bad luck with their trial. Paid version works for me.

Hopefully it is good enough to see if EE fills your needs, or maybe read or ask a question on there about what you want, they usually get back in 24hrs

edit:
it looks like gmail works with it
this is the update they are working on, beta now or soon.
• View topic - Current state of EE

got the trial working - but EE doesn't do the push for icloud. with IMAP setup it can only fetch the emails at set intervals which is not very efficient. Not sure how k9 does the same even though its setup as imap. the email gets pushed to the device instantly.

So i guess it's not what i'm looking for.

Back
Top Bottom