• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email Notifications

VMuser

I am upgrading from a LG Optimus V, to a newer LG Optimus F3. Using K9 mail, I have 2 email accounts configured. On the older phone, my notifications show the number of new emails, on the newer phone, the notifications show a list of the emails and the total of new emails. Is there a way for the newer phone using 4.1.2 to behave the same way as my older 2.2.1 phone?

I believe that this is a behavior of the OS, as I have tried other email clients, and K9 is set to behave exactly the same.

Example:

Optimus V

(Icon) 10 Unread (Account)
New mail

Optimus F3
(Icon) 10 new email
SENDER subject
SENDER subject
SENDER subject
SENDER ....
.... ....

Is there a way to configure the phone client on the new phone not to show the (SENDER subject) lines?

Thank you in advance for your knowledgeable input.

R

If we are talking about notifications and not home screen icons or widgets I think it still does that. I know that if I have a few emails it will list them individually but if there are enough new emails to scroll off the screen then it groups them by account. What you might be seeing is a longer list due to higher screen resolution.

@Lunatic:

I'm referring to notifications. I believe that the function of the notification is to make you aware of an event ( email, sms, calendar item, etc), so it might be me, but I do not need to see the individual emails in the notification area (dropdown)

So, is there a way for the newer phone using android 4.1.2 to only show that I have new emails and the number of emails?

I'm not sure what LG uses for a stock launcher, but it may be available in the settings, but I don't think notifications are customizable in the stock launcher.

@Lunatic:

Are you saying that this is a behavior of the launcher? I am thinking of getting rid of this launcher simply because I do not like qslide, and the other settings quick launcher that the F3 brings.

So to reiterate my question without the ranting: Is the notification behavior a property of the launcher?

Sorry, but the answer is it can be, but not necessarily. There are a lot of notification apps in the play store as well. I browsed through a few of them but I didn't see one that would do exactly what you want. If your old phone was stock and the behaviors disappeared with the update to Jelly Bean, then I'd have to thing that it was something LG built into the old launcher and removed (or wasn't compatible) with JB.

Both phones are stock, but now i am somewhat confused.

Is notification part of the functionality & responsibility of the launcher?
Is the behavior that I am describing stock functionality of 4.1.2 or is it part of the LG flavor?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I am searching for a concise: i.e you are out of luck, or take the following steps and you get the result that you are looking for.

Seriously, thank you again for your time.

Both phones are stock, but now i am somewhat confused.

Is notification part of the functionality & responsibility of the launcher?
Is the behavior that I am describing stock functionality of 4.1.2 or is it part of the LG flavor?

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I am searching for a concise: i.e you are out of luck, or take the following steps and you get the result that you are looking for.

Seriously, thank you again for your time.

It is very confusing. Let me try to explain.

I have had several Nexus phones and those that aren't have been flashed to AOSP roms (pretty much pure google). The way stock message notifications work for me is that if there are only a few messages, I see each message in the notification pull-down. If there are 6 messages in one account and one in another, I will get notification of 6 emails and a preview of the message for the other single message. If I have multiple messages in all (four in my case) of my accounts I will see four summary notifications. (see attached) I blurred out the personal data, but the notification shows two messages in my gmail account and 3 in an IMAP account.

Notifications are handled by the system, but the way they are displayed can be modified by the launcher. Manufacturers create their own launchers with unique features, so LG and Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc will all be somewhat different in their feature sets. It's quite possible that LG's stock launcher included the feature but Android v 4.1 and later don't support it. It could be that the majority of users wanted the list so they made that a stock feature. It's really hard to tell where the change was made and who made it.

EDIT: On that screen shot, just so you know, I'm running Stock 4.4.2 (Kit Kat) with Apex Launcher.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-21-13-48-28.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-21-13-48-28.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 69
Lunatic.....Thank you for your time. I tried the exercise of installing 6 different email apps, on 4 different devices. It seems that the change was done after 4.0.3

Look at the picture attached ( I modified yours a little bit) Is there anyway to make my notifications look like that picture? I have 4 email accounts, my entire business and personal calendar and several apps that let me know of activity through the day. I would like a clean at glance idea of what is happening, and a convoluted notification screen is actually a nuisance rather than the helpful screen that my current 2.2.1 is..

image1.jpg

Lunatic.....Thank you for your time. I tried the exercise of installing 6 different email apps, on 4 different devices. It seems that the change was done after 4.0.3

Look at the picture attached ( I modified yours a little bit) Is there anyway to make my notifications look like that picture? I have 4 email accounts, my entire business and personal calendar and several apps that let me know of activity through the day. I would like a clean at glance idea of what is happening, and a convoluted notification screen is actually a nuisance rather than the helpful screen that my current 2.2.1 is..

image1.jpg

Must be something LG's done to your phone. Default behavior in Android is the original picture. Try Apex Launcher, it has a free option, see if that works.

dibblebill:Are you saying that the default behavior is the picture that lunatic posted? Because that is exactly the behavior that I do not want.

Maybe I am the oddball here, but to me a notification is just that a short/simple/sweet way of making you aware of something. I do not believe that there should be any actions built in the notification other than invoking the app.

If anyone has a way for me to accomplish this let me know.

dibblebill:Are you saying that the default behavior is the picture that lunatic posted? Because that is exactly the behavior that I do not want.

Maybe I am the oddball here, but to me a notification is just that a short/simple/sweet way of making you aware of something. I do not believe that there should be any actions built in the notification other than invoking the app.

If anyone has a way for me to accomplish this let me know.

Try out some of the launchers. They might solve the issue

dibblebill:

I do not understand how a launcher will change a behavior that seems to be built into the OS. I am not against installing a different ROM, as I see other pieces of software that annoy me in this phone (QSLIDE is a great example). Would any of the ROMs produce the behavior that I'm looking for?

I really appreciate yours and Lunatic's answering my questions, and do not mean to be a pain.

Again thank you for sharing your expertise.

R

dibblebill:

I do not understand how a launcher will change a behavior that seems to be built into the OS. I am not against installing a different ROM, as I see other pieces of software that annoy me in this phone (QSLIDE is a great example). Would any of the ROMs produce the behavior that I'm looking for?

I really appreciate yours and Lunatic's answering my questions, and do not mean to be a pain.

Again thank you for sharing your expertise.

R

Many like OmniROM and Cyanogenmod offer options to tweak how the system displays notifications, showing a count instead of a list. To a degree, notification interaction with applications is part of Android's framework now

Ultimately, this has hampered my ability to switch to this phone....im thinking of listing it for auction.

Back
Top Bottom