• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Email questions

johnnylighton

Sep 22, 2012
So Cal
I have two questions about the email app that comes with the S3.

First, is there any way to exclude an account from the Combined View? I have one account that's on a listserv and gets a tons of messages, and I would like to only sync and view that account when I decide to look at it. What's the best way to do this?

Second, I read here that push email is better for battery life, and it certainly seems more convenient. Does the native email app support push? I see a setting for Sync Email and one for Email Check Frequency, which appears to set a polling interval. How would I set it for push? Most my mail email accounts are IMAP; I also have one Gmail account and two Yahoo accounts.

Thanks for any info! :)

I can say a thing or two about the yahoo account - please let other advice you about your other questions:
There are only two clients that genuinely push yahoo: Maildroid and the Official Yahoo mail app. Both have their downsides.
Maildroid is fantastic, but expensive (15 bucks for an app without widgets...). You can get the the free add-supported version to check out how it works - but the adds are big and they tend to make the page jump. It does however work brilliantly and it supports push mail for pretty much any other provider too. You can combine inboxes very easily.
The Yahoo mail app is free but has enormous adds that you cant opt out off. Also there's the issue of not being able to open on inbox or add non-yahoo accounts.

Upvote 0
Thanks Toosploos. That email app is now $18 (!). But I do use email a lot so I will check out the free version to see what it's about. How it handles my imap accounts is more important than my yahoo accounts.

No sweat man.
By the way: people really rave about the free mailclient K9, so you might want to check that out too. It's not for me because it doesnt handle Yahoo well, but seeing that other users are so impressed with that client it might be worth a shot for you.

Upvote 0
Thanks again - good tip. :) I have the K9 mail client but it's so complicated to set up if you have lots of folders that I've just given up. I want it to ignore my folders and go straight to my inbox as soon as I click on a mail account. I also want it to not sync my folders until I access a folder directly. So far I haven't been able to get it to do that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones