• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Encryption option missing

phanlight

Android AOSP has had an option for full disk encryption by going to settings->security, ever since Gingerbread. This option is missing on the Vitria. Anybody know how to "enable" it or what the alternatives are? Thank you.

I have it on mine, I need to remember what I modified to get it though( I never used it though)

Edit:
Go into cust\t-mobile\us\xml
Open hw_defaults.xml
Change <integer has_encryption="0"/> to <integer has_encryption="1"/>
Try to reboot and then see if its available(I had to wipe data to get it)
If you don't have it after rebooting you have to wipe data/factory reset sadly :(

I tried it, and I don't have the option after rebooting. Not quite prepared to wipe right now, way too many things to lose. Will have to try it some time later.

good to know though, and thanks for the screenshots too, so I know where to look for it.

Just wiped my phone after setting has_encryption, and presto, the "encrypt phone" option showed up! Thanks for the info!

One other question: AOSP also has an "Encrypt External SD Card" card option that does not show up on this phone. I've tried to set a PIN and insert a microSD card that's FAT formatted. It recognizes the card fine. Any idea if a different setting is required?

Does google want its customers to go back to thinking of their phones as just phones? Because forcing factory data resets on everybody is a great way to do that. I've never had an iPhone. I'm thinking this might be the right time to make the switch.

Does google want its customers to go back to thinking of their phones as just phones? Because forcing factory data resets on everybody is a great way to do that. I've never had an iPhone. I'm thinking this might be the right time to make the switch.
I always thought it was iOS that forced the factory data resets.

Back
Top Bottom