• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Eris not receiving any text messages

Hey folks. First off, just want to say that I'm glad to be here on the forums (should have registered a long time ago).

With that said, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a particular issue and maybe answer a few questions.

So about two weeks ago, I found that I wasn't receiving any sort of text messages, SMS or MMS. Power cycling the phone didn't help and neither did clearing out all the old messages to make room for new ones. I can still send messages, however. I played around with the auto-retrieve features and no joy either :(

After doing some research online, some people were suggesting a switch of apps but that didn't work either (I was originally using chompSMS, uninstalled it, then switched over to HandcentSMS) and restoring the APNs. I read over on the XDA Developers forum that essentially a APN from a clean ROM would do the trick, but however this required (according to the guide) a flashing and making a backup. Unfortunately, I cannot make a backup as per the instructions because my trackball, for whatever reason, does not want to go down to make any sort of selection but it will go in every other direction so I can't make a selection when rebooting into Recovery Mode.

1) Are APNs specific to the phone model or carrier? I borrowed my brother's phone (Moto Droid) and copied the APN he had via APN Backup&Restore then popping it over onto my Eris and tried a restore that way; didn't work.

2) If I'm able to obtain an APN from a vanilla ROM, would I be able to use it to restore my capability to receive text messages again without having to flash it then reflash with the one I'm using now? (If this ends up being the case, would someone be so kind to provide a fresh APN? :))

Here are the specs/apps currently installed that I think might be relevant:

KaosFroyoV34 (ROM running Froyo 2.2 for Droid Eris)
HandcentSMS
Autokiller Memory Optimizer
SuperUser
Dev Tools
Spare Parts
Google Voice (Ihaven't really touched this much since I installed it)
Where's My droid?

If I am not mistaken, the best way to do this would be the following:

- download and copy to SD one of the stock-based ROMs, like xtrSENSE
- restart in Recovery and do a Nandroid backup
- wipe data and Dalvik and flash xtrSENSE (or whichever one that you choose)
- restart and set up the phone. There is really no reason to install all of your apps, though.
- see if you now receive SMS messages. If you don't, try rea-activating the phone by dialing *228 and press 1 after it connects
- if you still don't receive texts, I'd call Verizon Wireless and see if they can reset your account's settings

If you are now receiving SMS messages:

- while in xtrSENSE, install APN Backup & Restore from the market: APN Backup & Restore - Android app on AppBrain
- run the app and run a backup
- restart in Recovery, wipe data and Dalvik and Nandroid restore Kaos from before (you can also Nandroid backup before you wipe in case you want a stock ROM available for whatever reason)
- install APN Backup & Restore, and restore the settings saved on your SD
- restart the phone
- see if you start receiving text messages

Upvote 0
Hey doogald,

Much as I've been trying to avoid the flashing, I guess it's inevitable; just a quick question before I try this out tonight: how does Dalvik work and where exactly in the whole process does it come in? Will it be a PC install where I'll have to back things up or something else, etc.? Sorry for the ignorance, it's the first time I'm hearing about it, let alone used it. Again, thanks for your help :)

Upvote 0
Wiping Dalvik cache is something that you should have done before you flashed Kaos the first time that you installed it. You restart the phone in Recovery, go to the Wipe menu, there is an option to "wipe Data/Factory Reset" and "Wipe Dalvik cache".

If you want to avoid flashing, you could try reactivating the phone by dialing *228 and, after you hear the prompt to choose a menu option, long-press the menu key to bring up the keyboard and press the number 1. I'm not sure if that will work, though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones