• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ERROR UPDATE ANDROID 6 - handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard

how to recover the system?

• Instal new OS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • How to recovery

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

scintilla

Lurker
Hi. I recieved the update to Android 6 but falied and the phone rebooted only at the same black screen.. Like on this phone.

I have a HTC M8, he was Unlocked( I use a carrier from my country) but now appers at the Bootloader:

*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111

I don't know what's I have to do or if has any solution for this case?
Someone could help me.. Please?

I bought this phone at september in NYC by Amazon. But IMEI told me that he is from Australia. So maybe I can not use the guarantee but I will send a email to Amazon.

cJ61vpC.jpg

Attachments

• cJ61vpC.jpg
    cJ61vpC.jpg
    670.4 KB · Views: 763
Bit confused from your first post. Is the bootloader info you posted:

*** LOCKED ***
M8_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111

from your phone? If so being s-off is good, but we may also need to unlock your bootloader. Before we do something more drastic, have you tried wipe cache option first and then tried to reboot?

Hi, I am new to the forum and I have updated my HTC one M8 to the new OS (Marshmallow) update provided. My phone ran into exact same issue mentioned by scintilla.

I have brought this phone from China (from ebay) and currently using it in USA. This is an unlocked phone and using it with T-Mobile service.

I tried wipe cache option but result is still same. I also tried several times "Reboot, HBoot, Fastboot, Recovery" options. However result is same (Still going into Android Recovery Mode)

I don't have a external SD memory card, all data is stored in internal memory and the message says that -
"handle_cota_install: Can't mount /sdcard" (Same as screen shot shared by scintilla)

Here is the message I see on bootloader screen:

*** Software Status: Official ***
*** Locked ***

M8_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF
CID-11111111
HBOOT- 3.19.0.0000
RADIO-1.29.214500021.12G
OpenDSP-v51.2.2-00593-M8974_FO.1015
OS-6.12.401.4
eMMC-boot 2048 MB
Dec 17 2015, 14:15:48.3

Also is there a way I can get my data safe back from internal storage of my phone?

Any help on this greatly appreciated

Ok, did you S-OFF the phone yourself or did it come like that already? Just interested as there's been a few issues with the OTA failing that have also happened to have s-off, so I'm wondering if it's related in any way (although s-off shouldn't make any difference). If you used Sunshine to get s-off, I thought the bootloader would also be unlocked at least it did when I used it.

If you can get your phone working again, then there's a chance that your internal SD card storage has been untouched. But if you've tried everything to reboot, then only way I can think of involves unlocking the bootloader as a first step but this will wipe your device including the internal SD card. I'll try and do a little more digging and see what I can find.

Ok, did you S-OFF the phone yourself or did it come like that already? Just interested as there's been a few issues with the OTA failing that have also happened to have s-off, so I'm wondering if it's related in any way (although s-off shouldn't make any difference). If you used Sunshine to get s-off, I thought the bootloader would also be unlocked at least it did when I used it.

If you can get your phone working again, then there's a chance that your internal SD card storage has been untouched. But if you've tried everything to reboot, then only way I can think of involves unlocking the bootloader as a first step but this will wipe your device including the internal SD card. I'll try and do a little more digging and see what I can find.

Thank you for your quick reply.
- I did not do S-OFF, the phone came that way already.

If lost of data is only path then - would like to know wipe data/restore factory setting would be helpful?

Appreciate any help to resolve this without loosing data. :)

I bought this phone at september in NYC by Amazon. But IMEI told me that he is from Australia. So maybe I can not use the guarantee but I will send a email to Amazon.
Hi scintilla,

Have you heard back anything from Amazon yet?

Appreciate any help on this error/problem..!

Hi Saltire,

Sorry for the delay in my response. Here is the information you asked me for:

PAVANs-MacBook-Pro:android nadadhuru$ ./fastboot-mac getvar all

INFOversion: 0.5

INFOversion-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000

INFOversion-baseband: 1.29.214500021.12G

INFOversion-cpld: None

INFOversion-microp: None

INFOversion-main: 6.12.401.4

INFOversion-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF

INFOserialno: FA443WM00098

INFOimei:

INFOimei2: Not Support

INFOmeid: 00000000000000

INFOproduct: m8_ul

INFOplatform: hTCBmsm8974

INFOmodelid: 0P6B10000

INFOcidnum: 11111111

INFObattery-status: good

INFObattery-voltage: 0mV

INFOpartition-layout: Generic

INFOsecurity: off

INFObuild-mode: SHIP

INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT

INFOcommitno-bootloader: 76df2b54

INFOhbootpreupdate: 11

INFOgencheckpt: 0

@Pavan_1120 Before trying this, might be a bit of a long shot but try removing the external sd card and rebooting, and the sim card and rebooting. Worth a shot to keep your internal storage intact (if it's still ok anyway).

The following will do a complete wipe of your phone. Download the files in this post:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...b634df425888c700e71036&p=64926626&postcount=6

to your PC and save in the same folder where you have the fastboot.exe already, and follow the instructions to install the downloaded RUU. When you enter the:

fastboot oem rebootRUU

command, the phone should go into HTC RUU mode - you will see black screen with HTC in grey in middle, and probably a green progress bar below as the RUU components are flashed. The phone may also reboot itself a few times, and I think should reboot itself once process is complete. If it doesn't just do:

fastboot reboot

Edit: Note that I'm not sure you need to use the htc_fastboot.exe, as normal fastboot works just fine for me when flashing firmware zips with the phone in RUU mode.

If the above doesn't work, and if you have a sd card reader and micro card adapter you can also try the following.

Rename the RUU zip file to exactly 0P6BIMG.zip (the first character is a zero, not a letter O - fifth is capital letter I, not a number one) and copy it over to the root (top level directory) of your sd card - i.e. not in any folder or sub-folder on your sd card. Make sure in Windows Explorer that you turn off the option to hide extensions for know file types - you don't want to end up renaming to 0P6BIMG.zip.zip.

Insert the sd card back in to your phone and reboot the bootloader in to HBOOT mode. HBOOT should automatically recognise the 0P6BIMG.zip and start working through the install. Once complete and phone has booted successfully, delete the 0P6BIMG.zip file off your sd card otherwise if for any reason you go back in to HBOOT it will do the full wipe and install again.

Both may take a while to run through.

SD card method definitely works :)

Back
Top Bottom