• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Essential post-root things thread (recovery + key combo)

aus4000

Oct 26, 2011
US
So, I'm looking around here, and there's some decent activity! :D Problem is though, is newcomers to the C811 and CA-201L (like myself) have no idea what we are doing so we have to dig for some info. This thread should change that :)

So, if you're going to get knee-deep in the ROM and don't know where to start: start here!

Step 1: Recovery
The first thing to do is get an app called Flashify. It's going to let you flash the recovery.img easily. The second is the actual recovery.img located at the bottom of the post (thank you to who did that! Reply and I'll gibe credit). Put the img on your phone, open Flashify and press "Recovery image" then "Select from file". Find that img and flash it. Yay, now you have a CWM recovery!

Step 2: Firmware (for recovery key combo)
Don't reboot just yet folks! The second thing to do is flash the CA-201L's firmware. The C811 and CA-201L are basicially the same phone, except the CA-201L is made for the Korean market where the C811 is made for the US market. The reason we do this is because the Korean phone actually has a recovery key combination (the US one doesn't, because of Verizon's infinite wisdom).

Place aboot_CA-201L.zip at the bottom of the post on your phone and reboot your phone into CWM and flash the zip. I've had no problems with it on M050 but reports vary, so it may be wise to make a backup beforehand.

Now you can reboot into an actually useful recovery and do it when the phone is off! :D (the combo is Tactile key + volume up + power, and works best when it's actually off.)

If anyone has anything they'd like to add, or I did something wrong, please make a reply and I'll fix it.

Attachments

• recovery.img.zip
    6.7 MB · Views: 1,454
  • aboot_CA-201L.zip
    252.1 KB · Views: 738
Last edited by a moderator:
I messed with the Korean firmware a while back and had issues with LTE data connectivity on the VZW network, as in it would not connect to cellular data at all.

On my current commando I have not install the CA201L firmware and I can boot from off into recovery. Power on the phone, it will display G'Zone & Now loading. It will briefly go blank and then display it again. At that point press and hold the power+tactile key+Volume up buttons and continue to hold it all the way through the white VZW power up animation until the screen goes black. At that point the phone should reboot into the CWM recovery.

This has been my experience with two Commandos but YMMV.

Upvote 0
Please help

Make sure you're actually flashing the recovery.img from flashify and not just rebooting into recovery before things are flashed. Also, the bootloader is already unlocked :D

Funky. Mine's had no issues with connectivity since I flashed it. I didn't think aboot messed with radios that much :S

Upvote 0
i have used flashify probably 20 times trying to flash the image above, says that its been flashed and yet if i let it reboot on its own, it goes to the android with the open stomach and spinning blue symbol then resets the phone on its own, then i go through the whole putting in my account info so phone can reload all apps and info back to itself. then when i try to reboot myself and use tactile key, volume up, and power it will go into stock recovery asking if i want to hard reset....what the crap...getting frazzled by this...

Upvote 0
ok so now i dont think i have a recovery anymore...i've tried using the manual button presses to enter into recovery and all i get is the gzone logo and it fades away with lines in it then it reboots like normal...wish i knew what i was doing wrong..i even tried to factory reset phone from settings menu, acted like it was going to and then never reset..had all my apps and previous texts and calls..etc. maybe gonna try to unroot and start all over again??

Upvote 0
The prerequisite for installing the recovery is working root, but you can't root M070 if the recovery is not there.
I'm not sure if you can boot into fastboot when not rooted, but if you can, you can try installing the recovery form there.

Edit: it doesn't work. No way to boot into fastboot using adb with no root.

Install adb and fastboot (the link is for Windows. For other operating systems, install Android SDK Platform Tools or find it in your distro package repository).
Install the Commando 4G LTE USB driver (not sure you need it, but probably you do).
Go to device Settings ->Developer Options -> Turn on and check "USB Debugging" and connect the device via USB to PC.
Open command prompt as administrator.
Execute
Code:
adb devices
If you see something like
Code:
List of devices attached
04948020828ef663        device
You've set-up adb and device properly. If you don't see this, you haven't set it up properly.
Now execute
Code:
adb reboot-bootloader
When the Commando boots into fastboot mode it shows a black screen with Verizon logo. If you see this execute
Code:
fastboot devices
To check if it's in fastboot mode.
You must see something similar to "adb devices" output, if you see it, proceed installing the CWM recovery.
If you're running Windows and don't know how to use the command line, the easiest way is to put the recovery.img and aboot_CA-201L.zip at C:\ root. Otherwise navigate to the folder you have recovery.img located at and then execute
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

If you see no errors, proceed installing aboot.
Code:
fastboot update aboot_CA-201L.zip
And then reboot
Code:
fastboot reboot

Then proceed for Rooting M070.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm a total newbie here. I have a never-rooted M070 and I have tried following your instructions but can't boot into fastboot mode. I never get the black screen with Verizon logo you refer to.

I have since tried motochopper which reports success when rooting, but I'm not sure it is correct. Flashify says I am not rooted. Nothing I have tried has allowed me to get fastboot working. Is there another way to boot into recovery if I have never rooted my device?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Nothing I have tried has allowed me to get fastboot working. Is there another way to boot into recovery if I have never rooted my device?
I confirm my device doesn't boot into fastboot through adb commands either. It seems working only in adb shell when rooted. Seems we need find you a way to flash a CWM recovery and aboot or getting rooted another way.

Solution #1
I don't remember if stock recovery works, but you can try
Code:
adb reboot recovery
You should see an Android robot with open stomach.
Press Tactile key once and the recovery menu should appear.
Navigate to "apply update from sdcard" or something similar and choose cwm_ca-201L-signed.zip (make sure to put the zip on your device beforehand)
Then choose "apply update from sdcard" again and choose aboot_CA201-L.zip.
After that, "reboot system now". And proceed to Rooting M070 thread.

Solution #2 (really bad and probably will not work but you can give it a shot)
I remember playing around with Kingo root and in second attempt I had root after reboot. But it never worked again after reboot.

Try with Kingo three times or so, maybe you get lucky.
Every time device reboots after Kingo, try flashing CWM and aboot.

See this thread.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
adb reboot recovery did not work for me - I tried it many times. It rebooted but I never got into the stock recovery. But I figured out what was going on with motochopper. My antivirus quarantined the 'pwn' file as a virus and reapplying the root failed.

Once I got it back and got the root up again, I was able to use Flashify to get CWM. I think the instructions in the OP are good if you don't reboot before using Flashify (and you use it correctly). I didn't understand how the app worked, and tried to load recovery.img.zip as a Zip file. I had to extract it and load recovery.img as a Recovery image. That installed CWM correctly.

Also, I tried Kingo maybe three or four times - it never worked. Motochopper worked every time after I figured out that my antivirus was to blame...

Thanks!

Reactions: Doctoror
Upvote 0
Step 1: Recovery
The first thing to do is get an app called Flashify. It's going to let you flash the recovery.img easily. The second is the actual recovery.img located at the bottom of the post (thank you to who did that! Reply and I'll gibe credit). Put the img on your phone, open Flashify and press "Recovery image" then "Select from file". Find that img and flash it. Yay, now you have a CWM recovery!

Step 2: Firmware (for recovery key combo)
Don't reboot just yet folks! The second thing to do is flash the CA-201L's firmware. The C811 and CA-201L are basicially the same phone, except the CA-201L is made for the Korean market where the C811 is made for the US market. The reason we do this is because the Korean phone actually has a recovery key combination (the US one doesn't, because of Verizon's infinite wisdom).

Place aboot_CA-201L.zip at the bottom of the post on your phone and reboot your phone into CWM and flash the zip. I've had no problems with it on M050 but reports vary, so it may be wise to make a backup beforehand.

Now you can reboot into an actually useful recovery and do it when the phone is off! :D (the combo is Tactile key + volume up + power, and works best when it's actually off.)

I followed these instructions to the letter and now I'm stuck at the GzOne screen with nothing happening.

Upvote 0
my device cant boot and recovery cant enterying any soulition to repair it

Attachments

• tapatalk_1471472001270.jpeg
    tapatalk_1471472001270.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 297
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones