• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Exporting bookmarks

I noticed that the bookmarks I see in the chrome browser on my phone are the same ones I have on my laptop. So chrome isn't storing these locally.
I don't know what other browsers do to manage bookmarks.

There's a sync option via your google account. I don't use it nor wish to.

Last thing I want is to have bookmarks on phone to be duplicated on my computer and vice versa.

I just want to export a set bookmarks. Most of the browsers I have used on an actual computer do it to a html file.

Upvote 0
There's a sync option via your google account. I don't use it nor wish to.

Last thing I want is to have bookmarks on phone to be duplicated on my computer and vice versa.

I just want to export a set bookmarks. Most of the browsers I have used on an actual computer do it to a html file.

Yes but the mobile version of most browsers have different functionality to their PC based counterparts. I could see no option on the mobile Chrome web browser to export bookmarks.

Upvote 0
Taking into consideration you've listed multiple browsers involved, you'll probably be better off using a bookmarks manager app. Most include the ability to use local storage (you need to copy/backup/transfer them yourself) or online storage (which is more convenient but you're apparently averse to using).
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bookmarks manager&c=apps&hl=en

Upvote 0
Taking into consideration you've listed multiple browsers involved, you'll probably be better off using a bookmarks manager app. Most include the ability to use local storage (you need to copy/backup/transfer them yourself) or online storage (which is more convenient but you're apparently averse to using).
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=bookmarks manager&c=apps&hl=en

Brilliant.

Found something a bit weird about preserving Firefox bookmarks across a factory reset.

Doing a SmartSwitch backup doesn't keep your bookmarks...

But.

If you make a desktop shortcut it does get carried over in the backup. You can put a load of desktop bookmarks into a single folder. (I had 42 in one folder before my SmartSwitch backup.)

After restore,, they were still all there and still worked. They just weren't in the Firefox bookmarks proper.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones