• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Extreme battery drain (tried everything)

I'm no beginner when it comes to android. Have had multiple android phones before and know how to optimize them for the best battery life.

This S4 is an exception to that. I've had this for almost 2 years now and in the last month the battery life has been terrible. The thing doesn't even last an hour of screen time. Gsam puts the battery drain while idle at almost 50% per hour. I've tried factory resets, wiping cache and dalvik partitions, and disabling the bloatware. Sent it into verizon, they said nothing was out of the ordinary and sent me a new battery to make me feel better. The new battery made it even worse. After running it down to maybe 5%, the number 1 battery drain was the screen at 70%. Keep in mind this is with brightness all the way down. The second biggest drainer was android OS at just 11%. At this point is it wrong to assume the touchscreen is defective and draining excessive battery? The battery lasts forever with the screen off... BTW if it were the screen that would suck, because I can upgrade in a month so there'd be no point in spending $200 for a out of warranty replacement. Also I use nova launcher, not touchwiz and phone still charges normally, it doesn't charge any slower since the battery problem started.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones