• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Extreme overheating and signal loss

hammerdroid

Has anyone had this happen so far? I just rooted the day before yesterday, no issues, installed CyanogenMod 12.1 rc5 yesterday, no issues overnight at least. But then at some point today, when I took a nap I woke up with my phone sitting next to me, and I look down to notice the red light was on. So when I tried to turn the screen on, nothing happens so I held down the power button to turn it on, and that's when I realized that it was hot - very f****** hot. So I turned it off, and actually placed it in the freezer for a moment. When I took it out, it turned on fine everything seemed OK, but I decided to download an app that could keep an eye on the temperature of the cpu and the battery, and at one point my battery temperature got up to 107 degrees Fahrenheit, CPU is hovering around 122, so I shut it off again. This went on, over and over, for a little while, me never letting it get as hot as it did the time before, and finally it subsided. All the while, my signal was weak as hell, i was lucky to keep 3G, but mostly i showed an 'H', (what's that?) And 'E'. I'm not sure what the deciding factor was, but I really hope it doesn't happen again. I know that a lot of people was dating the sign and didn't mind hadn't given them a single bug, & I hope that's true. it's probably something I did, and can't place...

Now, a few hours later my phone is holding a decent temperature & signal, but i also left the house. Therefore it's no longer charging... Hmmm.

Just wondering if anyone had a similar experience. I'll try to make a bug report if it happens again.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

It may be the weak signal area. The phone tends to output a lot of power to keep a stable signal. Maybe turning off data or putting on airplane mode might help, That's if you want to keep CM 12.1
CM12.1 gives me weaker signal so I'm sticking with stock since it gives me full bars at my home, unlike CM12.1 thats always missing signal.

It may be the weak signal area. The phone tends to output a lot of power to keep a stable signal. Maybe turning off data or putting on airplane mode might help, That's if you want to keep CM 12.1
CM12.1 gives me weaker signal so I'm sticking with stock since it gives me full bars at my home, unlike CM12.1 thats always missing signal.
Thanks for the reply. One thing i found since this post is that it's only when I'm doing things with the phone as it's on the charger. I believe I've determined that in my case, signal isn't a factor. I just jumped to that conclusion prematurely because a few years back, when I first purchased the HTC Thunderbolt, one of the very first 4G devices out there, I used its hot spot ability to play online games on my playstation 3, while also streaming audio from a football game at the same time. The phone got very hot, and I was never able to get a 4G signal from that point on, lol. So, naturally, my mind quickly made the mistake of referring back to that incident as a basis for this one. But that's not the case this time, it has something to do with the charger.

A cpu temp of 122 Fahrenheit or approximately 50 Celcius isn't bad. My previous phone, teh Samsung Galaxy Avant which has the exact same processor chip, used to get up to 79 Celcius or approximately 174 Fahrenheit and it never had any issues.

It also may have something to do with the fact that, in starting to realize it started around the time i tried, (and thought i succeeded in,) installing bankermod's kernal. I found out a little while after that i hadn't done it right, and i plan on doing something about it soon

A cpu temp of 122 Fahrenheit or approximately 50 Celcius isn't bad. My previous phone, teh Samsung Galaxy Avant which has the exact same processor chip, used to get up to 79 Celcius or approximately 174 Fahrenheit and it never had any issues.
I'm really glad to hear this, really! But i still get nervous, i SO can't afford a replacement! I have an app monitoring the tempo of my battery and cpu, and I'll raise the notification setting. What scares me though, is that yesterday it got hot, and i got close and scarcely smelled that odor you get when electronics are burning up... Really bugged me out. I wish we could remove the back easily to check the battery on this thing...

Oh and do you have an idea what's a decent threshold for the battery heat?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom