• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Facebook contacts not syncing

I had a question about this. When I setup the account it gives 3 sync options. 1) Sync Contacts 2) Add all friends on Facebook 3) Sync Calendar.

What I would like it to do is grab the Contact Pictures for only the people that are not on my contact list already. I had added all friends from Facebook and my contact list became a mess. If I only choose option 1, it should technically only be updating the contacts that already have a matching email on Facebook right?

edit: I uninstalled the Facebook App i downloaded from the Market and the Sync worked but it's now how I expected it to work. You have to choose out of all your Facebook Friends, which ones you want to sync one by one. It doesn't seem to refer to the email address you already have on file in your contacts. Sucks!!

Reactions: evans.audra
Upvote 0
I was able to connect this morning without having to uninstall the official facebook app. What I did was switch back to TouchWiz, but I doubt that had anything to do with it. I'm guessing that the server just came back up (for how long, I dunno) and that was the real reason we were all able to sync. Everything else was coincidence.

Upvote 0
I think I found the solution. For a week it wouldnt sync, I tried EVERYTHING suggested and nothing helped. This is what I did last night AND IT WORKED. Go to accounts and sync and delete your facebook account if you set 1 up. Reset the phone. Go to contacts-menu-get friends. Add your facebook account and set it to sync every hour. click get friends, put your phone down and go to sleep, I had the phone plugged in and connected to the wifi. When i woke up I had all the contacts! hope it helps, try this tonight

Upvote 0
I finally got mine to work as well. Been trying for over a week. However, some of my contacts have been changed to match their Facebook names. Like adding Jr. or using a full name like Nicholas instead of Nick. It doesn't do this for all of the contacts. Is there a way to make the name still show up as I entered it?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I really do believe that the issue was/is with facebook. I was able to update again this morning (I hard reset my phone after the first connection, so I lost my sync), which is around the same time everybody else did as well. The first time I was able to sync, there were several people who also connected around the same time.

I didn't do anything different this morning. So I really don't think there is some magical procedure to get it to work, just being lucky enough to attempt a sync when the servers are actually working.

Upvote 0
Mine did the same thing but it turns out (for some reason) I had facebook app from the market and the one pre-installed. Once I removed the 3rd party one and re-synced it worked fine.

So what best is to do is what you said exactly. I only used the integrated facebook for syncing my pictures and it worked fine. I then installed the market place app so i can use that app and not let it sync. working great. great information.

Upvote 0
this has been really annoying to figure out but i think if finally got it for me.

i did what was written on the AT&T link posted above but I had to do one more step. I had to go to CONTACTS > MENU > GET FRIENDS > SELECT FACEBOOK > ADD ALL FRIENDS

only after I did this did they all showed up on the right contacts. I had to manually add the stragglers. hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones