• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Feeding (or charging) this beast

big_z

Android Enthusiast
The phone comes with a 2A charger and a USB3 micro-B cable to charge with, and it works pretty quickly. I can be fully charged after a day's play in less than an hour. With respect to charging, are all USB3 micro-B cables the same? Could I buy a 2A car charger and an Amazon Basics cable and get the same effect? Or does there need to be something special about the cable? I know for USB2 there are "charge only" cables with the data pins shorted, but are those cables only for trying to get a faster charge from a computer USB port?

The phone will draw what it was designed to draw, as long as the charger can supply that much current. (Samsung usually requires some shorting arrangement on the plug to tell the phone to draw maximum current, otherwise it charges slower or not at all.) About the only difference between 2 and 3 is that a USB 2.0 port is limited to 100mA, while a USB3.0 port can supply up to 2 Amps. Using an external charger means that the available current is determined by the charger, not by the USB spec.

Back
Top Bottom