• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

firmware update?..

quartz11

Lurker
Hi,

brief history...

Inherited a samsung Galaxy ace with android 2.3.6 on it. worked all ok for text and calls for a couple of months and wifi did function, but didn't like downloading apps. 192MB internal storage. updated firmware via Kies (stayed on 2.3.6), but this basically zonked the phone 2 weeks after the update - boot screen loop.

Have just inherited a Samsung Galaxy S III mini (GT-I8200n) with android 4.2.2. 8GB internal storage - obviously more up to date.

It seems to work. I haven't used WiFi on it yet. I'm considering/weary about connecting to Kies and checking firmware, incase it bricks the phone again? 'why would I want to check for firmware updates on it'.....because.....firmware updates are always good.........right? what do you think...

Hi,

brief history...

Inherited a samsung Galaxy ace with android 2.3.6 on it. worked all ok for text and calls for a couple of months and wifi did function, but didn't like downloading apps. 192MB internal storage. updated firmware via Kies (stayed on 2.3.6), but this basically zonked the phone 2 weeks after the update - boot screen loop.

Have just inherited a Samsung Galaxy S III mini (GT-I8200n) with android 4.2.2. 8GB internal storage - obviously more up to date.

It seems to work. I haven't used WiFi on it yet. I'm considering/weary about connecting to Kies and checking firmware, incase it bricks the phone again? 'why would I want to check for firmware updates on it'.....because.....firmware updates are always good.........right? what do you think...
firmware are always good. they can keep your phone's security up to date (unless you want to root the phone).

you can also just check in your phone's settings to see if there is an update available.....just an fyi

I could be wrong but I'd be surprised if Samsung are still releasing updated firmware for the s3 as it's 7 years old now. There's the possibility of custom firmware which brings it up to the latest though.

Yeah samsung could careless about the s3 and the mini since anything below Android v5.0 is a HUGE security concern since Google/Smasung hasnt patched the exploits that the stock firmware has, but a newer (if supported) can help you with app compatibility and security updates etc.

thanks..whats the pre 5 security concern? I mean I don't want to zonk the phone, because the things that I need on the phone work at the moment - basic calls/texts, camera. alarm clock. in an ideal world I might want to download walking trackers and things like that

tbh I'm not interested in custom firmware or anything...samsungs own official will be fine. if...I try it

8 gb internal storage might not be enough to download apps. And if you are able to download some apps, You'll run out of room very quick.

thanks..whats the pre 5 security concern? I mean I don't want to zonk the phone, because the things that I need on the phone work at the moment - basic calls/texts, camera. alarm clock. in an ideal world I might want to download walking trackers and things like that

tbh I'm not interested in custom firmware or anything...samsungs own official will be fine. if...I try it
Their the stagefright exploit, the safety net exploit, etc theirs apps on the play store that can givevu more info, but if your staying on stock id say try having a anti virus instslled to keep you safe

Back
Top Bottom