• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps First Android app - Screen size problem

jr001

Lurker
Jul 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have decided to have a go at coding my own Android app and I am running into some difficulty and hopefully someone here can help.

As I have experience in web development, I decided to use HTML, Phonegap and Eclipse.

Now my problem is, once I compile the app and run it on my my phone. The app is not full screen (The notification bar is still visible) and it looks bigger than it should be (As in it is scroll-able to the left and right and up and down).

The strange thing is, my app is within a container file in the html file and has been sized in the CSS to be 480px in width, So I cannot understand why it looks bigger once compiled.

I have done some research on this. from sites like developer android forums and stack overflow. etc. and inserted different pieces of code into my manifest file.

I have even inserted this code into my html file, which resulted in the app looking fine in a browser but still it does not look right once compiled.

[HIGH]<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0, maximum-scale=1.0, user-scalable=0" />[/HIGH]

I was wondering if anyone could please shed some light on this.

Thank you for taking to the time to help.

Jr001

I have done some research on how to make the app full screen.
I now know that I have to put this

[HIGH]android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen">[/HIGH]

Inside my manifest but even this does not work. I have even put more then one instance in there in differant places too see if that would work.

Here is my manifest.

[HIGH]<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<manifest xmlns:android="http://schemas.android.com/apk/res/android"
package="com.test.testapp"
android:versionCode="1"
android:versionName="1.0" >

<supports-screens android:largeScreens="true"
android:normalScreens="true"
android:smallScreens="true"
android:resizeable="true"
android:anyDensity="true" />

<uses-sdk
android:minSdkVersion="8"
android:targetSdkVersion="17" />

<application android:label="@string/app_name" android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen">
<activity android:name="com.test.testapp.MainActivity"
android:screenOrientation="portrait"
android:label="@string/app_name">
android:theme="@android:style/Theme.NoTitleBar.Fullscreen">
<intent-filter>
<action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
</intent-filter>
</activity>

</application>

</manifest>[/HIGH]

Thank you

jr001

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones